Search the forum,

Discuss When I turn hot tap on up stairs water comes out of hot tap downstairs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Teddysam154

[FONT=&quot]I wonder if any one can help me. I tried asking about this on another forum on another website and just got abuse and name calling. I am not a troll this is a genuine problem and need to know how to fix. I know it sounds like a impossble problem but is happening. I live in a rented house. I went to run my children a bath tonight I turned on hot tap[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and heard a screeching sound coming from kitchen downstairs and the sound of water.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I went down stairs to check and the hot tap in kitchen was screeching and water was coming out of hot tap even though it was turned off. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When I turn off bath [/FONT][FONT=&quot]hot tap up stairs hot kitchen tap down stairs stops screeching and water stops coming out. But as soon as I turn bath tap back on kitchen tap starts screeching again and water comes out again.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What could be the problems. And[/FONT][FONT=&quot] how can I fix. It seem very odd.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I don't know if it is relevent but thought I should mention we have had some problems with heating system loosing pressure. It was fixed but a month ago we had boiler serviced and day after boiler lost pressure and had to be re pressurized.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We have a combi solar power boiler. Dont kn[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ow if this helps[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any advice much appreciated[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks in advance.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Sorry forgot to say water does come out of bath tap as well when turned on. So when I turn bath hot tap on water comes out of that tap and kitchen tap down stairs at same time even though kitchen tap is turned off. I just don't understand it.

I would suggest the drop in pressure when you open the upstairs tap is causing something to relax in the tap downstairs allowing water to pass. Maybe the tap gland or the washer. It would sound like something is not well in the downstairs tap so maybe replace that/get your landlord on it

I would suggest the drop in pressure when you open the upstairs tap is causing something to relax in the tap downstairs allowing water to pass. Maybe the tap gland or the washer. It would sound like something is not well in the downstairs tap so maybe replace that/get your landlord on it

That's a mighty brain wave Riley.

To the OP , Are these quarter turn taps down stairs or screw down (normal)

Can happen with ceramic disc taps, when the pressure is reduced. Eg, when opening a tap. Fitting mon return valves on the hot and cold supplies to the tap stops the problem.

I believe they are quarter turn taps so have the ceramic disc return valves. I'm going to take tap apart in the. Morning to check for sure. If they are do you think replacing the ceramic disc return valve will fix the problem.

Thanks again for all your replies you have all been very helpful.

Boiler is a alpha it says on it gas saver and model number CD25X. I don't know if this means any thing. There is a water tank next to it with a tiny circle screen in bottom corner that lights up and shows temperature of water in tank. There are pipes that go up to the loft to the solar panel on roof.

Don't knoiknoiw if any of this helps

Boiler is a alpha it says on it gas saver and model number CD25X. I don't know if this means any thing. There is a water tank next to it with a tiny circle screen in bottom corner that lights up and shows temperature of water in tank. There are pipes that go up to the loft to the solar panel on roof.

Don't knoiknoiw if any of this helps

Yes that sounds like a SolarSmart system, it was defiantly hot water coming out of the hot kitchen tap ?

It is just that your system will have a thermostatic mixing valve on the hot water outlet pipe work where cold water can mix with hot water & so it is easy to get an imbalance of pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to When I turn hot tap on up stairs water comes out of hot tap downstairs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock