Search the forum,

Discuss What could be causing bubbles in heating after newly installed combi? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

This is a weird one, for sure... I had an old Vaillant combi replaced by a new Worcester Greenstar 4000 by Boxt.

It was as simple a job as you can imagine - direct replacement... my house is a simple 2 up 2 down semi - nothing remotely complicated.

However for the last two months since it was done, I've been getting small amounts of bubbles ending up in one of the upstairs radiators. It's worst after the heating has been off over night but also get some bubbles during the course of the heating being on too. Pretty certain it no longer could be residential air from the replacement job.

The Boxt engineers have been back three times, and they've bled the radiators and added some sealant but they are at a loss. as to what it is - it's also not frequent enough to be easy to see it happening when someone is only here for a few minutes.

I'm pretty certain there are no leaks and the pressure is not dropping - it is about 1.1 bar cool and goes up to about 1.4 bar hot.

I'm aware that gas can be hydrogen, the result of oxidisation, but I doubt that - it doesn't burn when I bleed the rad and it didn't happen before the replacement, although this new boiler definitely runs hotter than the old one.

I've tried opening and closing the automatic air vent at the top of the expansion vessel - no difference.

All I can think is that there is something wrong with the new Combi itself that is somehow sucking a little bit of air into the pressurised system

Are there any experts who can help me - at least tell me what I should tell Worcester so that I can get them to fix it - I doubt they'll come out unless I can be a bit more sure it is the boiler.

Very much appreciated!

It could be just air building up as it’s quiet common a month after to still get air as it’s brand new water in the system

It could be just air building up as it’s quiet common a month after to still get air as it’s brand new water in the system
OK. But this was now over 2 months ago (end of November it was done) - it's been consistently bubbling all that time. Could that still be residual air? Seems unlikely to me?

Nope what do you mean by bubbling can you hear it or you just need to bleed the rad ?

Also was any flush / cleaning of the system done ?

Nope what do you mean by bubbling can you hear it or you just need to bleed the rad ?

Also was any flush / cleaning of the system done ?
Yes I ca hear it. Yes I’ve bled it a few times now and also I’ve tried to light the air coming out of the rad to see if it’s hydrogen from oxidation. The system was not flushed when the combo was replaced but I didn’t have this problem before.

I’m leaning to corrosion as you say it’s worse when it’s been standing overnight eg boiler off

I’m leaning to corrosion as you say it’s worse when it’s been standing overnight eg boiler off
Yeah except I didn’t get this problem for the 8 years I’ve lived with the old boiler - it’s just happened since the new one (all other pipe work and rads are the same)… plus, like I say, I can’t light the gas which I thought would be possible hydrogen off corrosion. It’s had a lot of inhibitor too.

Try and leave it a day or two then try capturing some and see if it will safely flare off

It’s points to it not being hydrogen still could be corrosion

Yeah except I didn’t get this problem for the 8 years I’ve lived with the old boiler - it’s just happened since the new one
The default pump setting on Worcester boilers is normally 'maximum', which should be reduced to the minimum that gives satisfactory circulation by the installer. It's quite common for the installers to skip this step, which may be why you are now hearing noise (e.g. turbulence) when you didn't before. It would be worth checking the pump setting.

The pipework may have an 'inverted-U' section in it somewhere. E.g. a horizontal section that is bowed upwards or some other form of 'trapped volume'. This could give you a reservoir of air that is slowly being dissolved in the CH water and then transported around the system. If so, it could take months to disperse.

"All I can think is that there is something wrong with the new Combi itself that is somehow sucking a little bit of air into the pressurised system"

Seems unlikely to me. To "suck air in" the water at the site of the leak would need to be less than 0 bar (gauge pressure). Assuming you are measuring your '1.1 bar' (gauge pressure) at the boiler any such leak would need to be several meters above the boiler. In any case, a leak that is large enough to let air in when the pump is running would likely result in loss of water (and hence pressure) when it was stopped, which you don't seem to be seeing.

My guess is that if you check the pump setting and then leave it a few months it will resolve itself.

Last edited:

Reply to What could be causing bubbles in heating after newly installed combi? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock