Search the forum,

Discuss Water in pipe when soldering solutions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Lads/Lasses

New to the forum so are with me

What effective methods do you lot use to stop water dribbling out of the pipe when trying to solder a new fitting as a repair

cheers

ct9plumber

i've found a bit of bread to be effective(no joke) if it is just a trickle, if there is more then i get my wed and dry vac out and give it a good suck then quickly solder the fitting on. oh and welcome to the forums.

I've heard the same thing with bread. Apparently you can get some sort of fish bait thing (not a fisherman) and whack it in the pipe. Plus stores quite well in tool box and means you get 100% of your lunch.

if its a vertical pipe so long as the flow is stoped a fabreeze or similar spray head clears enough water to be able to solder

Try and push the pipe in a direction to drain as much water as possible. The tilt or push the opposite way to solder. Sometimes I push my gauge tube down and blow it out, and always have an open end.

plus one for the u gauge tube or on vertical 22 a bit of 15 can be used to pull water out by putting in finger on the end and lifting out

place the tube that is below the squirty head when you unhook it from the bottle in to the pipework then spray away

Patience! Keep trying with the wet vac or use a bit of blue roll rolled up and dipped down the pipe to pull the water out and then very quickly solder it!

the bread trick works but should only be used where you have an open end to blast it out ofit comes from the days of wiping stop cocks onto lead mains where youve got the pressure to clear it out

the bread trick works but should only be used where you have an open end to blast it out ofit comes from the days of wiping stop cocks onto lead mains where youve got the pressure to clear it out

Still got my turn pin in my soldering tray.

cheers was just wondering what alternative methods there were

I already use the bread trick

wet vac sounds a good idea what's the best one?

most of the time for me a open ended pipe is not always available ie cutting a new stopcock in tight position

cheers for all replys to post

cheers was just wondering what alternative methods there were

I already use the bread trick

wet vac sounds a good idea what's the best one?

most of the time for me a open ended pipe is not always available ie cutting a new stopcock in tight position

cheers for all replys to post

I recently bought the wickes ÂŁ35 from recommendations on here, its a cracking bit of kit for the price and ive honestly used it every day since having it. You have to get the ÂŁ15 filter to allow for wet vac aswell but it is genuinely the best ÂŁ50 ive ever spent in plumbing

I use a large syringe I bought from a chemist about ten years ago. A bit of Manometer hose on the nozzle and you can suck water out of the pipe, then blow it out into a bucket, then suck again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water in pipe when soldering solutions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock