Discuss Warmflow U70HE oil. Upstairs radiators not filling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seanashmore

Hi folks,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to be asking this. Please let me know if this needs moved.

The radiators upstairs in my house only heat until around half way up the radiator or lower in both bedrooms and the bathroom. I have bled every radiator in the house multiple times and get some air followed by water downstairs, but only a little air upstairs with no water at all. This made me think that there is simply not enough water in the system, which is sealed, and so I started looking for a filling loop around the boiler but to no avail.

From what I can see, my system is as follows:
Boiler in outside hut. Expansion vessel on the wall to the left of the boiler 'box'.
Large water tank in the loft with floating orange 'ball'.
Large, insulated emersion chamber on 1st floor, would be under the water tank in the loft.

The only sign of a filling loop I can see is below the emersion chamber but I haven't tried opening the valve yet.

Has anyone any idea what the problem may be and if I am on the right track?

Thanks,
Sean.

Filling loop can be anywhere, if it's not a system boiler. Usually a filling loop which has a braided hose, valve & perhaps a gauge near this, will be where there is mains water pipe - like in the airing cupboard.

Thank you so much for getting back so quickly! So that could in fact be the filling loop in the cupboard with the immersion chamber. I was curious why I could not see a pressure gauge anywhere around the boiler; There is a pressure gauge attached to the (currently potential) filling loop. I'm at work at the moment but I'll have a proper look at it when I get home. What should the pressure gauge be showing to be within safe limits? Is it 1-3?

Thank you again for your help, I really needed a knowledgeable opinion before I tried anything.

Pressure depends on what it has been originally set at, to suit the system & house, but about 1 bar is usually okay. Too much & the system will go to the PRV limit & it will open.
Bleed each rad & top up each time.
There is an air charge (at a specific presssure in relation to the water charge)in the expansion vessel which gradually goes down (like a car tyre) & needs checked & pumped up if necessary every year by the service engineer or heating engineer.

Last edited:
Bleed each rad & top up each time.
Im just re-iterating that point, you'll top up the pressure then bleed one rad and the pressure will be dead again, so repeat.

Hello again guys. Thank you very much to both of you for your advice. I got home and checked the pressure gauge, which was at 0 :s I opened the valve on the filling loop until there pressure was in and around 1. Then bled a radiator, then repeated as you expected would be required. All in all though it is now fixed. The heating has been on for a few hours, all radiators piping hot and pressure at about 1.3.

So again thanks everyone for your rapid and accurate help!!

Good news! :smile: That seems like system is running good, as the pressure is not going too high.
Get the air charge in the expansion vessel checked eventually by an engineer & check for any reasons of water loss in system if the water pressure drops too quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Warmflow U70HE oil. Upstairs radiators not filling in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock