Discuss Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 losing pressure overnight in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm having problems with my boiler and am hoping someone can offer me advice. Few days ago our heating and hot water stopped and on inspecting the boiler I was met with the F.75 error. We had a plumber come out and the first thing he asked was if I had the owners manual which didn't fill me with confidence. Anyway, I didn't have one as we recently moved in so the plumber tried refilling the system to bring it up to 1.4/1.5 as he said this what Vaillant's were supposed to be at. It got it working which was great until yesterday morning when we lost heating and hot water again. As I had watched what he had done, I refilled it and again this morning the pressure had dropped.

Now before I call a plumber out again, I want to try and narrow the issue. I have been searching and found that it could be a number of things but I want to try and establish if it's a leak in the system or if it's a problem with the boiler. Is it possible for a DIY'er to do this? I have checked the visible areas around the radiators for a leak but can't see any signs of one (assuming that going from 1.5 to 0.9 in less than 24 hours would mean a reasonable size leak!). Also, there are a few "valves" with screw slots underneath and one was at 45 degrees. Should all the valves be closed? If not, which ones should be open and which should be closed?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm having problems with my boiler and am hoping someone can offer me advice. Few days ago our heating and hot water stopped and on inspecting the boiler I was met with the F.75 error. We had a plumber come out and the first thing he asked was if I had the owners manual which didn't fill me with confidence. Anyway, I didn't have one as we recently moved in so the plumber tried refilling the system to bring it up to 1.4/1.5 as he said this what Vaillant's were supposed to be at. It got it working which was great until yesterday morning when we lost heating and hot water again. As I had watched what he had done, I refilled it and again this morning the pressure had dropped.

Now before I call a plumber out again, I want to try and narrow the issue. I have been searching and found that it could be a number of things but I want to try and establish if it's a leak in the system or if it's a problem with the boiler. Is it possible for a DIY'er to do this? I have checked the visible areas around the radiators for a leak but can't see any signs of one (assuming that going from 1.5 to 0.9 in less than 24 hours would mean a reasonable size leak!). Also, there are a few "valves" with screw slots underneath and one was at 45 degrees. Should all the valves be closed? If not, which ones should be open and which should be closed?

Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Get a different engineer if you don't trust the one you have. I'd be looking at filling loop and expansion vessel with a drop that big.

I will be calling someone else, someone who's knows the Vaillant like the back of his greasy hand! :) With a drop that big, are you saying it's more likely to be the boiler at fault? If that's the case then it's a slight relief as I don't fancy having to gut the flooring to redo the pipework!

I will be calling someone else, someone who's knows the Vaillant like the back of his greasy hand! :) With a drop that big, are you saying it's more likely to be the boiler at fault? If that's the case then it's a slight relief as I don't fancy having to gut the flooring to redo the pipework!

How old is the boiler?

To lose pressure that quickly, you either have

a. A big leak that suddenly sprang out of nowhere, or
b. a pressure increase resulting in a PRV operating.

Tbh asking for the manual isn't necessarily a bad sign as all boilers have different fault codes and no engineer can be expected to know them all off top of his head.

Agree with comments about prv and leaks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Tbh asking for the manual isn't necessarily a bad sign as all boilers have different fault codes and no engineer can be expected to know them all off top of his head.

Agreed. Always ask for a manual unless I have my ipad handy.

How old is the boiler?

To lose pressure that quickly, you either have

a. A big leak that suddenly sprang out of nowhere, or
b. a pressure increase resulting in a PRV operating.

I believe it was installed in 2007/2008. We've been here 6 months and haven't had any problems until few days ago. What does b. mean? Would you mind elaborating?

Last edited:

best not call me either because first job is 'the installation manual' i dont like guessing too much.
rather, i like guessing then checking first.
bet the prv's passing.

I believe it was installed in 2007/2008. We've been here 6 months and haven't had any problems until few days ago. What does b. mean? Would you mind elaborating?

Can't elaborate too much in case you try to do a DIY fix and blow yourself up.

Is there a way of "isolating" the boiler from the rest of the system to see if it still drops in pressure? I mean without fiddling with the internals or disconnecting pipes etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 losing pressure overnight in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back