Discuss Unable to switch off external stop valve in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

B

Ben Webster

I need to switch off my water at the external stop valve to do a permanent fix on a pipe between that valve and my internal stop valve. There is no tap to turn on the external valve, just a round nozzle with no obvious way of twisting it. Thames Water is not responding. Any advice on how I switch it off? Thanks

Your water supplier owns the external stop tap its there responsibility to maintain it.
Get back onto Thames water tell them you suspect a leak (water wastage) certainly
In the areas where I work that normally moves the supplier on.

As above it's for Thames to sort their stop tap if it is faulty.
Can you post a pic taken looking down at the stop tap in the street , it may just be a type you don't recognise as a stop tap.

Often there is no tap to turn, it is a square drive - sometimes with a round shroud surrounding it. This requires a stopcock key - often has interchangeable ends to allow for various sizes and shapes (sometimes it’s hexagonal)

Reply to Unable to switch off external stop valve in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock