Search the forum,

Discuss trying to make a vacuum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boaz

Good Morning Engineers,
I have a Worcester Greenstar open vented boiler, feeding rads and hot water system via a 3 port motorised valve. I live in a bungalow, and all pump/valve/control systems are in the roof - boiler down stairs. I need to replace the 3 port motorised valve, but do not want to drain down the system.
Question :- The header tank has a gate valve feeding the system, the open vent running into the top of said tank. If I closed the gate valve, and blanked off the vent pipe entry with a push on stop end, would this cause a vacuum in the pipework so that I could remove the 3 port valve without having to drain down?.
Any advice would be welcome,
Kind regards,
boaz.

You can probably get away with bunging it as long as you can turn off one of the pump valves. The bunging process will work with two open ends but as soon as there is a third it won't hold not to be tried if you're not confident the bung can give at any point. Why not just drain off a little water until it is just below the level of the valves

Do you need to change the body of the valve? Often it's just the head that's needed which doesn't require any draining as nearly all are removable.

Thanks riley, I did mean to include that in my post - must be the Scottish water working !!!. I am confident, just lazy !,
Kind Regards,
boaz

Finchy01, Thanks for your reply, sadly, the valve does require a change, as I fitted a new actuator when I had to replace the pump. At my age I should know there is never a short cut to a proper job. As I said to Riley - I am inherently lazy at times, but thank you anyway,
Kind Regards,
boaz

Well the short answer is you can get a vacuum but work bloody quick

As all the controls, pump etc are in the roof you should not need to bung
or drain down.

Turn off the gate valve at the F&E tank , hold an old towel or rag under the valve
crack open one of the nuts and drain off what little water comes out.

Would probably be only about a cup full.

You should now be able to take your time on the valve change.

I use the bung method all the time, close as many valves as you can, as this helps a lot, pump valves, cylinder balancing valves if you have one.

Then with it bunged release the 'system pressure' about a bucket full of water from a suitable drain off point.

Crack a nut on the 3 port, i use a rubble sack as a flexible bucket to catch any water in. Have the new one ready to go.

And there you are, new 3 port

heleotrope - Thanks for your reply, but without "bung" fully in place on both pipe ends ( central heating and hot water) would not all of the standing water in the feed lines to the hot tank and all the rads need to drain out as the 3 port valve is at the same level as all the feed pipes ie laying on the floor joists?. I could understand if the valve was say 6 inches higher that all of the other pipework, but as I said it at the same level. In no way am I doubting what you have said, just require clarification,
Kind Regards,
boaz

Gasman - Thanks for your reply "system pressure" - do you mean the weight of water in the pipes, or, water pressure as it is not a pressurised system it is open vented.
Kind Regards,
boaz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to trying to make a vacuum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey guys in the know. I have paid for a heating and plumbing contract and had to pay my excess 3 times for the same thing still not fixed. The issue is quite simple to repair not sure why any one of the 2 plumbers could not fix it. Why am I paying for cover. The auto air vents in part of the...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Hope somebody can help :) I have a vented HW system with a pressurised Ch system but got bit of a annoying issue, when the hot water comes on all seems ok then after about 15/20 mins i started to hear a trickling noise from hw cylinder which i can also hear in the boiler. The central...
Replies
Views
C
  • Question
Hello I have a gravity fed system with a header tank in the loft, a water cylinder and a 3 way valve. The header tank in the loft is OK and has water in it. When the 3 way valve is in the mid setting the pump and pipes are quiet, and in the CH setting all is quiet. But when its in the HW...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm going to replace the 3 way vale on my open heating system. Hoping someone can advise. In the picture, to isolate the valve I am going to turn off 1, 2 & 3. However as you can see I can't turn anything off between the valve and the hot water tank. If I use a bung in the header tank, will...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock