Discuss Trv's V's room stat ?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rob.quick

We've just moved into a house that has a central heating system running with TRV's and no room stat, what are the benefits of adding a room stat ?

Thanks.

switches boiler off when no heat required, trvs just turn rad off. will save you money

To my mind TRV's and a room stat do exactly the same job.
They all measure air temperature, its just that the TRV's are room dependant (and in my mind far too close to the heat source to be accurate).

Where as the room stat if correctly sited in the center of the property away from heat sources or drafts give a truer representation of the true house temperature.

That doesn't make sense, if the room stat is in the coldest room the radiators will stay on until the room stat reaches the required temp. On a TRV system surely the individual radiators would shut down as they reach temperature saving you money ?

To my mind they don't do exactly the same job at all.

One controls when the boiler will fire, the other controls the flow through a radiator. Both work on temperature, but a modern system should have a proper interlock, TRV's and a stat. Or one step further, TRV's, a room stat, and an outside weather compensation unit.

Last edited:
The room that the room stat is in should not have a TRV fitted (or another heat source or drafts).

Having both will make your system cheaper to run. Whatever room you fit it in you will need to adapt the setting to your comfort level throughout the house. You can have the roomstat wherever floats your boat but it will still save you money.

True.

Modern systems are evolving.

Often people want a wireless programmable thermostat. One which they can site where ever they want, or have on a little stand and carry it from room to room. (It happens, I've known people to lose their stat in the same way I lose the remote control).

A room stat is the bare minimum anyone should have in my opinion. Then TRV's, then both.

A nice modern system from scratch should ideally have zones, upstairs, and downstairs. TRV's, programmable room stats, and weather compensation. However we don't live in an ideal world.

That doesn't make sense, if the room stat is in the coldest room the radiators will stay on until the room stat reaches the required temp. On a TRV system surely the individual radiators would shut down as they reach temperature saving you money ?
if trvs shut down at required temp what tells boiler that you dont want any more heat ?? nothing so boiler cycles on and off burning/wasting gas

Flow switch that senses the reduced flow and shuts down the boiler ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Trv's V's room stat ?! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock