Search the forum,

Discuss Travel time? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. Do most trades men get paid for travelling time? Reason I ask is due to the working day going from 1hr travel to a place of work to 3??

Yes we pay from arrival at job or merchants to leaving last job

What's that yes we do have trackers

Lol. We have to leave early to get hot works permits and drive to numerous jobs and then hand the permit in at end of play. So the day is much longer than it was but for same money.

Up to an hour there and an hour back.

Anything over that is claimable

Snipef agreement I think.

It's a contractual thing so you'd need to thrash it out with your boss.

unless I can drive to the customers in 15 / 20ish mins.(or its a mega job where the travelling time is sort of in the job)
I will charge from the when the van starts moving from home, or last job .......... to home or next job.

They way I look at it, if you drive an hour to do a job (ok rare, just an example) it takes an hour to get back, and say the job took an hour....that whole job has taken 3 hours not 1 .

Of course if its a it customer with nice knockers , you obviously wave the travelling charge

My sat nav records travelling time and when being the sad individual that I am,took notice of my travelling time per week, I found it was approx 8 - 10 hrs generally every week when I was doing approx 20 ish jobs a week within a ten mile radius. If you don't charge for this or factor it in your hourly rate, then it equates to working five days for four days pay which unless you are highly paid can't be right. This is if you are a firm of course and not on the books which then would have to be negotiable with the employer

Son in law used to work for dynorod and they insisted their lads were 'on the job' at 8, travelling was in your own time. He used to drive from East Lancs to Harrogate every morning between 6am and 8am ....finish at 5 then drive home....UNPAID.

Balls to driving and not getting paid. Was once offered a job as a setting out engineer / 3D drot controller ( basically remote control bulldozers) agency told me it was ÂŁ28/h this was 9 or so moons ago. Made excuses drove to Marne barracks and went through interview... Got job on spot talking trough car /wages it was ÂŁ28k with 2 hour drive each way. Bye said I. Working on salary on for a brilliant firm..... Then I went to Carillion. What a disaster they expected to drive where ever and be in the site office ready to rock at 8. Bye said I. Just checked miles on van. 7200 since new in March. Think I may say bye..... Oh hang on I get paid for it.

I do because I'm employed but definitely whack money on top when doing private jobs if there is a bit of distance involved.

I don't get paid for morning travel (whether it's in the office or straight to site) but it's never more than about 45 minutes and it's in the company van so I pay no diesel costs.

You do things, needs must etc, then you look back and think with hindsight I would never do that again! I was driving from just south of Bath to Crossness engines( Thamesmead near Woolwich)and back of a day taking about 5 hours, plus 10 hours manual work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Travel time? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock