Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Towel rad piping across the attic. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ladies & Gents,
A little advice, please.
I have a customer who wants her radiators in the en-suite and main bathroom changed from, 'on with heating only' to 'on at any time', ie conventional heated towel radiator function.
The main bathroom is easy because I only have to take the pipe runs through the airing cupboard wall. Nice!

Can you advise me if its ok to take the feeds for the other rad up out of the airing cupboard and across the attic before dropping runs down to the rad in chrome pipe? I was concerned about good circulation to this radiator. I assume it is ok because the feed to the rads has to be taken off between the pump and 3-port valve, so plenty of push behind it.
Am I correct?
Thanks for your time,
TerryH.

If it's a sealed heating system it will work well. Be sure to run the pipes with a slight fall, from whatever end is best & manual air vents fitted. They will work dead level if free of air, but can cause problems, especially when draining down & refilling etc.
You could run the pipes up from airing cuboard to a high point, then tee for vents & then gradual fall to above towel rad, for example. The falling pipe could perhaps be fitted at side of attic, out of main floor space area. Obviously support for exact fall needed & heavy insulation on pipes.
If the towel rad is to be on mostly, then might be advisable to consider a TRV on it to stop room overheating in warmer days & to save fuel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies :)
Galaxy.... I had considered an electric option and advised the customer that may be cheaper, but while I'm draining down etc for the bathroom, I may as well swing across the attic.

Best..., thanks for the detailed advice, I was going to put aav's at the high spot in the attic and, as you say, lots of thick lagging. TRV's are a good idea too, thanks.

I'd like to put drain off cocks in too, but using chrome pipe did not want to spoil the look and have just answered my own question.... trv/dov combis are available ... great!

Thanks again for your help,
TerryH.

Terry, - avoid using any AAVs. Save money & use manual vents. The auto vents are fairly pointless & not needed on those pipes especially. What's the worst that could happen if you used manual vents? Those auto vents leak easily, plus the one on the return can absorb air when the bolier pump is going. Sealed systems don't have air problems anyhow.

How do you plan to control on off periods or are u simply having the towel rail on when hot water or heating on, ? It will be some size of bypass lol

If you have pipes in the loft, they will get a very high heat lose unless VERY well insulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Towel rad piping across the attic. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the...
Replies
Views
Trying to find out exactly what happens when my system boiler is called to supply the radiators and hot water cylinder at the same time. For...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I have a question about adding a second bathroom to a house. My parents house has one bathroom upstairs and the house is all mains...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a...
Replies
Views
When I turn on our CH there's a lot of noise from one specific part of the system - the pipes on the landing, and one radiator. It sounds like...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock