Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Tightening of standard compression fittings in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi ya guys, im trying to improve my way of tightening compression fittings to copper and plastic pipes (using inserts or liners in the case of plastic). I usually in the case of copper push on nut and olive over tubing, add uni-white squeese by hand and then tighten with spanners for about 4 turns. I then open off the nut and olive to make sure it is clinched onto pipe and in proper position. I then re-tighten by hand and again use spanner and give a further 2 turns with spanners. Am I being too particular or have a touch of OCD.

I think you're over tightening them to be honest. Hard to explain how far to go though now you ask. I would describe it as 'just nice' but I can see that's absolutely useless lol. The olive should bite onto the tube but not be crushed into it if that makes sense? Brass and copper olives differ in hardness as you know so it would be best if someone showed you and let you feel how tight they are afterwards.

Follow manufacturer instructions. The Prestex guidelines are a good starting point. It sounds to me like you are over-tightening them. I have performed a lot of tests on the pressure tester to try to settle arguments about this or to give reassurance to apprentices who think "tighter is better" which it certainly isn't.

Using the method described in the following paper, I have never had one blow off under test and I've had them at 20 bar. One colleague who loves to "Tighten them till they squeal" :rolleyes: said my test didn't simulate hot water or pipe movement so I put water at 70 degrees C in my test bucket :eek:, pumped up to 20 bar and tapped the back of the fitting 100 times with an adjustable spanner trying to dislodge the fitting, and it still wouldn't come off! Point proved I think.

I don't actually follow any particular method these days, you just get to know when they are right but I share this information as I appreciate "you just know after a while" is not particularly helpful.

Take a look at this, page 7 - file:///N:/70118709_Prestex_Compression_Plumbing_Solutions.pdf

I would agree with the OP that slackening off the nut and checking the olive is full on and has compressed a little to grip the pipe. That way you know the fitting won't fall off the pipe someday.
Some fittings and olives are difficult to compress and mistakes do happen, so belt and braces, - paste olive, compress joint, slacken nuts to confirm olives compressed and then tighten first by hand and then use a spanner just with finger force until nut hits hard and then just a quarter to a half turn to tighten (as olive was already compressed and just requires tight to fitting).

Tightening 2 turns on an already compressed joint will likely both damage the olive and crush it into the pipe and push it further down into the fitting, meaning most of the taper on the olive will not meet the taper on fitting.

tighten up enough to compress the olive onto the pipe, any more does not help and may cause damage.

bigest problem is alot of fittings are cheap crap with poor olives.

I would agree with the OP that slackening off the nut and checking the olive is full on and has compressed a little to grip the pipe. That way you know the fitting won't fall off the pipe someday.
Some fittings and olives are difficult to compress and mistakes do happen, so belt and braces, - paste olive, compress joint, slacken nuts to confirm olives compressed and then tighten first by hand and then use a spanner just with finger force until nut hits hard and then just a quarter to a half turn to tighten (as olive was already compressed and just requires tight to fitting).

Tightening 2 turns on an already compressed joint will likely both damage the olive and crush it into the pipe and push it further down into the fitting, meaning most of the taper on the olive will not meet the taper on fitting.

Thanks for that mate. By the way, what does OP mean

Maybe a bit of overkill but before tightening I push the pipe fully home and then back it off a few mm before tightening up, I have never used tape or paste even if reusing the same pipe/olives on a new fitting as the olive is allowed to compress slightly more as it can move the pipe a fraction more without bottoming out.

Reply to Tightening of standard compression fittings in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked...
Replies
Views
Yes, it me again. I have a leaking compression joint that is connected to plastic pipe. I have now read elsewhere that it is not a good idea to...
Replies
Views
Have noticed my success rate with compression fittings fall over the last year or so. Am getting a few that weep. When I back to nut off to have a...
Replies
Views
Hello I am having a massive argument with some guys over whether this is the correct procedure for these fittings. I have always been told (by gas...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock