Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostatic Mixer Advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello. Currently in the process of changing an electric shower into a thermostatic mixer shower, its a bit of a long story with the builder but the existing shower area was basically bodged in to fit and tiled over concealing a few of the builders hacks into the plasterboard walls and getting the bottom tray to fit, its been a bit of a PITA.

I have stripped this area back to the stud partitions and will be installing a thermostatic mixer shower. I have the existing cold feed already in place and will need to lift flooring to fit the hot feed, will install again in 15mm speedfit.

The question i ask is what parts do i need to purchase in order to secure the pipes firmly behind the stud wall in order to fit the mixer bar. Also do i need to fit non return valves to the hot and cold water feeds?

So you have a mains cold feed, how is your hot water supplied? If it’s unvented cylinder or Combi boiler then crack on, if you have gravity hot then wait for further advice.

If you are using a bar mixer valve then you can bring plain pipe out at 150 centres and secure the valve using a front fixing kit ( this is the easiest method). Put a piece of 18mm ply flush to the front of your studwork and drill 20mm maximum holes for your pipes, then you’ll have something to screw into.
Finish wall (tiles/ boarding) then drill right through this finish but not through the ply and attach fittings with stainless steel wood screws - it will never move and you could hang from it should you so wish.

As you’re using plastic pipe clip it to the studwork to stop it banging around when the valve is shut off.

The valve should have non/return valves built in at the hot/cold connections.

So you have a mains cold feed, how is your hot water supplied? If it’s unvented cylinder or Combi boiler then crack on, if you have gravity hot then wait for further advice.

If you are using a bar mixer valve then you can bring plain pipe out at 150 centres and secure the valve using a front fixing kit ( this is the easiest method). Put a piece of 18mm ply flush to the front of your studwork and drill 20mm maximum holes for your pipes, then you’ll have something to screw into.
Finish wall (tiles/ boarding) then drill right through this finish but not through the ply and attach fittings with stainless steel wood screws - it will never move and you could hang from it should you so wish.

As you’re using plastic pipe clip it to the studwork to stop it banging around when the valve is shut off.

The valve should have non/return valves built in at the hot/cold connections.

The system is on a Combi boiler, was thinking of half copper using the Marflow PL8 and then fixing the speedfit onto the copper work which would give a nice sturdy fix. Does this sound alright?

As Ben-Gee quite rightly points out it is important to know if you have a high or low pressure hot water system. As the the hot & cold feeds need to be balanced.

The system operates just over 1 bar. The boiler is fed direct from mains pressure. The bath tap is also a thermostatic mixer tap and the feed for the shower would come directly off this.

Last edited:
I suspect it will be good, I happen to prefer my ply method because I will do all of the hidden work in bent/soldered copper which I trust and do in fact guarantee. And in my opinion you can’t get a better fixing than a screw into face of ply, or sturdy timber.

Yes you are good to go i have used this bracket i would advise you use 15mm copper pipe and adapt to speed fit where appropriate ,well bracketed pipework is a must ,balanced supplies , isolation valves accessible of course, one other thing i would say is fix the plate to a piece of ply set it back in the stud work at least by 25mm before any boarding is fixed and test the first fix before hand best of luck. kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200902-074632_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200902-074632_Chrome.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 4

Reply to Thermostatic Mixer Advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock