Discuss Tap washer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

Very simple thing but keeps catching me out.

I went to a job today and the washer had gone, leaving a dripping tap.

simples!

But when going to put the washer in, it didnt fit.

These are the head gear which has a sort of cup for the washer to go in and a screw to tighten up.

I managed to get it sorted but am now wondering why my "tap washers" don't fit.

is it...

1. because I got them from screw fix (although have bought from other places)
2. because they are made larger and you are suppose to trim them a little, if so how do you trim them to make them round rather then hexagonal
3. Because I am missing something else

Buy a washer kit from Tool Station. It has a large variety of tap washers in different sizes and thicknesses and comes in a neat yellow case. At the very least you'll also have a supply of washers to use with screws.

problem with the kits is you always need the one that aint there.

I'd rather spend a little bit more and have a load of each and every one I need

if you buy a kit then just top up the ones that get low when you're in your merchant

I see what you mean but I needed 5 x 3/8" washers today, so my way of doing it is when I need something I top up with loads of them, then I wont run out again for a long time.

Means I don't end up with loads of bits that i will never use and if I am in a remote village which has no shops, I don't need to travel 10 miles to go and get a washer.

I did buy a kit a little while ago and I have only used about 10% of them, the rest I have used as screw washers.

I also use a tap reseating tool when changing a washer. Saves on call backs later and not had one yet since I started doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Tap washer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning all, I recently changed the washers on my kitchen mixer tap due to it dripping, I reseated it using a tool but it's still dripping. I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has...
Replies
Views
Hey All-- New here as this is something I have not had to do on this scale before. I am renovating our laundry room, which currently only has the...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, I am trying to get into a tap to change a washer but havent a clue as to how to do it. The tap is unlike anything I've ever come across. It's...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to replace my washers but on one tap the screw I can’t remove and the second. Removed screw but I can’t pull of the handle :/...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock