Search the forum,

Discuss System Boiler & Magnaclean Queries in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
I have a system boiler (Worcester Bosch). There is a Magnaclean filter fitted, which I assumed was just on the central heating. Heating was turned on a couple of days ago and the pressure on the boiler has been dropping. Last night I made sure the heating side was turned off, wrapped kitchen roll around all rad valves p/w at each rad end, around p/w below boiler and around magnaclean, re-pressurised to 1 bar and left it until this evening. Pressure has dropped by somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 bar. Heating definitely hasn't been on. Hot water did come a bit earlier for an hour or so. I did notice the magnaclean was hot (it is located immediately below the boiler).

First question - should the magnaclean get hot when just the hot water is on? I thought the m/c was just attached to the central heating side. Can the HW side mix with the CH side e.g. if the diverter valve is faulty?

Second question - if there are no sign off leaks anywhere on the central heating, what can cause the pressure to drop, especially when the heating hasn't been on? Could it be something to do with the expansion vessel? There is no release of water from the external pressure release valve pipe (bone dry), and when the heating is put on the pressure doesn't shoot off the scale.

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Many thanks.

RVS6

I think you’re getting confused with the type of system you have. I think all boilers use the central heating water to heat the hot water, so yes the magnaclean would be hot if you’ve used the boiler to heat the hot water cylinder. As for pressure loss, how much are we talking?

Unless the leak is in inside the boiler, and I am not going to be trying to take the cover off!
You don’t need to. What I would do is top up the boiler to say 1.5 bar and isolate the flow and return if possible, which should help with identifying if the boiler or system, eg if the boiler is the culprit the pressure will still drop.

not sure where to isolate the flow and return. Could it be the two black valves on the pipes going into and out of the magnaclean as per the attached photo? I don't like pipes and wires!

Attachments

• Image[5054].jpeg
    Image[5054].jpeg
    319.4 KB · Views: 16
not sure where to isolate the flow and return. Could it be the two black valves on the pipes going into and out of the magnaclean as per the attached photo? I don't like pipes and wires!
No, that would just shut off the magnetic filter. I’ve circled on the photo which to do

Attachments

• 0683A0C2-A491-45D9-839D-BB451B51652B.jpeg
    0683A0C2-A491-45D9-839D-BB451B51652B.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 13

Reply to System Boiler & Magnaclean Queries in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock