Search the forum,

Discuss Swapping vales over live in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I’ve just swapped these new valves over live. Didn’t realise how bad the old nuts looked until finished the job. Would it be hard taking these valves back of plugging up the live water supply at the top of 90degree bend to remove the old olive and nut and fit the new nut olive then fit back onto the valves. Is there anything that I can plug into the top of the old 90degree bend for a few mins to do the swap over instead of my thumb as I did to fit below.

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpeg
    IMG_0208.jpeg
    591.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0209.jpeg
    IMG_0209.jpeg
    552.7 KB · Views: 19
You wouldn’t be able to swap the nuts as how would you remove them eg can’t push the nut down far enough to get at the olives best to replace the push fit elbows

Ah I didn’t even notice that there wouldn’t be much space for the nut to drop to saw the olive. Could I replace the push fit elbows without draining the system down? Would I need to realise any pressure or can I just fit valve,nut,olive to new elbow and do a quick swap over under a towel?

I would drain the pressure and then just swap the push fit and valve over in one

From the questions you are asking I would advise you to get a plumber to do this for you.
It is not a big job and therefore shouldn’t cost much.
It can be done without draining the system, but you need to know what you’re doing and more importantly what to do if it starts to go wrong!!

It’s kinda why I’m here to ask for some advise, I wouldn’t imagine it isn't a very hard job as I’ve already changed over the valves in the attached photos without draining the system or dropping pressure then topped up the pressure on my boiler. I’ve been advised to drop the pressure so water obv doesn’t spray out with the pressure and would be a lot easier to change and was only wondering how to do it. Would I open the trv a little to release the pressure then by swapping both valves again there wouldn’t be as much pressure in the water? Also without dropping pressure I’m more than happy to change push fitting with the pressure of the water if it can be done? I’m not sure if it is possible as never done it before.

Open the valve into a bucket and wait for the water to stop / slow

Reply to Swapping vales over live in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock