Search the forum,

Discuss Stick to what you know best in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Steve weightman

Gas Engineer
Have a landlord and appliance shop owner who I fit cookers and hobs etc for who's currently turning old shops into a couple of flats. I've put in the cylinder and tanks and new cold water mains but was not asked to fit the bathrooms which I couldn't understand. He wanted the so called builder to do it and for me to commission it only because he's paying him peanuts for the building work so getting the bathroom installation cheap. So I dropped in to check it and I compare it to going into an exam room to spot all the faults which I lost count of. Kitchen taps on the bath and basin,bath won't go in the corner due to the waste pipe against the legs,bath trap elbowed up to the waste pipe leaving 6 inches of water in the bath,all compresion fittings with tape around the threads lol and from the 22mm I left from the hot water draw off reduced down to 15mm again on a compression fitting.ended up taking it all out and starting again.

20190722_121447.jpg

20190722_121501.jpg

20190722_121439.jpg

20190723_102620.jpg

20190722_121530.jpg

20190723_102639.jpg

20190723_113209.jpg

Probably, bar any dangerous work, overall the worst work I have seen posted on here!
I wouldnā€™t trust one little part of any of the work done there.
Clearly a complete plumbing novice to have done that!
Silly to have allowed anyone to have taken that work on, even if they had been free.

The a silver lining to every builders cloud...

Nothing we lot could do could compare. Think it about time we started showing a set of pictures like this to prospective customers so they can see why saving 28 pence on a job may not be a good move :rolleyes:

Some folk will spoil the job for ha'porth o tar!

I the grand scheme of things, there is no saving is there?

They penny pinch over a tradesman and then pay one the same amount as they would have originally to put things right. In fact it is possibly more due to the tradesman being offended at playing second fiddle.
The cost of the 'non-tadesman' is a pure loss isn't it?

Numb as a pump.

I bet you couldn't take the smile off your face?
I hope you walk away from that. I have taken on 'others' hideous work before and wished I hadn't.
On the contrary I didn't take much removing as nothing was secured in place no surprise there. All put back in place now with the conversation to the owner of I told you so being very satisfying

Speaking as a home DIYer / novice myself, whilst I can see what's wrong in all these photos can someone enlighten me why the use of PTFE is wrong? I've used it on several joints at home and feel a bit embarrassed now :oops:

Speaking as a home DIYer / novice myself, whilst I can see what's wrong in all these photos can someone enlighten me why the use of PTFE is wrong? I've used it on several joints at home and feel a bit embarrassed now :oops:
There's no point wrapping it around the threads if it's needed at all wrap it around the olives took me ages to take it all off from this job

Interesting. When I was shown the basics decades ago, it included putting tape around the male thread as a cleaner way than using jointing compound. Are you saying use nothing at all unless you get a leak?

Interesting. When I was shown the basics decades ago, it included putting tape around the male thread as a cleaner way than using jointing compound. Are you saying use nothing at all unless you get a leak?

Around a Male thread yes. Around the thread on a compression doesnt do anything. The olive causes the seal a bit of paste around the pipe/ olive is enough

The threads on a male joint are solely where the water can pass and need ptfe or other to seal.
The threads on compression joints are not solely where water can pass and are only for the nuts to hold the fitting together between the compressed olives.
If the olives failed to seal properly in a compression joint that you had also used ptfe on threads, then the water would just pass between the gap between nut and pipe

Reply to Stick to what you know best in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I have a plumber coming tomorrow to change a cartridge on a badly dripping tap on my bathroom mixer unit. There is no separate isolating valve for this tap so I'll have to close the stopcock. I tried closing it today but it won't go absolutely 100% closed and there is still a very slight flow...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock