Discuss Slotted Or Not Slotted!? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Due to the great and educational replies I received to my last post (maiden post) I thought I'd ask for some advice. Recently I was asked to replace a mates waste/plug in his small hand basin. The plastic waste had been moved somehow and the washer and silicone had broken, thus causing a leak! As it was quite old and plastic looking I advised updating and getting a chrome waste, pretty cheap from toolstation I think. Anyway, all fitted and working well. My point is, when I bought the new waste there were two options. Slotted and non-slotted? I'm kind of aware that the slotted is for use in basins with built in overflows? But how does this work as such?

I appreciate you guys are professional plumbers and not teachers, and that's why I'm paying someone to go on a course but any help if you have time would be gratefully received and unanswered question going around in my head.:confused:

when water goes into the overflow it runs down through the 'slot' in the chrome waste and drains off into the trap.

Thanks Barryplumb. Do they usually only have one slot or two? When putting waste in assuming you line slot up with back of basin were overflow is. I saw a slotted waste with two slots facing each other. Wouldn't the water flow across to the other slot and miss going in to the trap and possibly leaking out? Or are they built in to the basin so as to block the other slot? Apologies if this aint too clear. Thanks for reply though.

some come with two slots, some with four, but they do the same thing, The water will drain into both slots as there is a cavity in the basin from the overflow that allows overflow water to drain into both slots. It shouldn't leak out if the waste has been sealed properly when it was installed, You must use silicone around the gap of the chrome waste underneath before you tighten the nut and washer. Also silicone between the basin and the lip on the of the chrome waste.

once again thanks and once again what a great forum. Always made to feel welcomed even though I'm a trainee. Cheers!!

I've had my own business for well over three years and was called an apprentice today. Didn't feel offended though. I'm 48 and he was 37 but been in his trade since he was 16.

On that basis many on here are "apprentices"!!

Unslotted are for example stainless sinks without integral overflows where the drainer/overflow comes in a separate pipe and joins in a branch at the top of the trap bit like the overflow from a bath.

i always use plumbr mait or what ever they call it now and a poly washer for basins. silicon is ok if you can leave it to set before use mait is instant and i never get a leak dont use the swan brand one its crap for this rolls of and doesnt stick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Slotted Or Not Slotted!? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Desperately in need of help. Getting very annoyed with myself Replaced the click plug in my bathroom for a new Basin Slotted one along...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, I recently brought a replacement Pop Up Waste from Argent K316-DL & the spec states it suits both overflow & non-overflow basins...
Replies
Views
My bathroom Basin was installed some years ago by a professional plumber. For whatever reason, the waste was fitted using silicone rather than...
Replies
Views
In my last posting, I requested assistance in exchanging a waste that had been fitted using silicone, without actually removing the basin. Mission...
Replies
Views
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock