Search the forum,

Discuss Shower waste problem in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Inverness

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
New house and smells comes from shower... It's a merlyn shower waste it's not like your usual design.
I've lifted up the chrome but or I'm I suppose to lift up the other bit to get the hair bucket removal out? This design I don't see where the seal is to stop smells through?? Any experience please shine over my direction. Also when you pee in the toilet you can hear it flowing through the shower waste?? Thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20230621_215711172.jpg
    PXL_20230621_215711172.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 15
The part you show under the chrome cover lifts out. There needs to be water in the pot to act as the seal/trap, and that white bit needs to be in place as it has a rubber seal round the edge.
Is there water in it at the moment?
IMG_0172.jpeg

The part you show under the chrome cover lifts out. There needs to be water in the pot to act as the seal/trap, and that white bit needs to be in place as it has a rubber seal round the edge.
Is there water in it at the moment?
View attachment 83899
Thank you.
There was some water when I looked inside. Should there be a oring seal? Also should you hear the water drain away inside the shower waste when your having a pee? Maybe when the toilet is flushed it's removing the shower trap??

Thank you.
There was some water when I looked inside. Should there be a oring seal? Also should you hear the water drain away inside the shower waste when your having a pee? Maybe when the toilet is flushed it's removing the shower trap??
Sorry I think I'm wrong about there being a rubber seal round the edge, that was an older model I'm thinking of.
I wouldn't expect there to be any interaction or effect from the toilet until you flush it, and if it's then pulling the trap water out, that smacks of a missing (ie no provision was made for fitting one) or faulty air admittance valve on the toilet soil pipe.

I have a new build property with a shower where the noise from an adjacent soil pipe comes through the shower waste, but no smells fortunately! Maybe you could try topping up the trap after using the loo, and see if the smell stops? That might indicate fitting an AAV could fix it (or it's fitted but it's stuck)

Can you see or get at any of the waste/ soil pipe arrangement in this room?

Noise when you wee sounds like no trap seal. Gurgling when you flush would be a siphoning

My diagram below shows how they generally work. Take a look at yours and make sure its assembled right and has water to the right level.
I forgot to include on my diagram they often have a rubber seal on the top most part which inserts into the trap which prevents air bypassing the cup. Other wastes have a very tight fit to achieve the same thing

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpeg
    IMG_1364.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 8
Thanks. I removed the white thing and there was a oring that was slightly distorted which I'm hoping was the problem... When you don't know you can bet plumbing forum has the answers thanks

Reply to Shower waste problem in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock