Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss shock arrestors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
in work today listening to another plumbs chirping about these saying that they stop water hammer , have i missed something with these devices as i thought they where for thermal expansion??

Some of the old Vaillants have them in, they look like little pressure vessels. Never had the need for one.

Tool station do a nice compact one . Think Albion require them still on their whermal wars

The chamber dissipates the schlock wave. It's built so that when the returning wave bounces back it's 1/2 a wavelength behind the forward one thus cancelling out. Destructive supposition, exactly how the silencer works on ideal logic

i did says thermal expansion
but plumbs was chirping in about water hammer
They work for that too assuming the water hamer is caused by fast closing valves or jumping ballcocks they soak up the internal back pressure wave. there are micro ones with 3/4" bsp conections intended for washing machines as the solenoid valves on them can cause water hammer.
jyby9e9y.jpg
a8udyvez.jpg

The chamber dissipates the schlock wave. It's built so that when the returning wave bounces back it's 1/2 a wavelength behind the forward one thus cancelling out. Destructive supposition, exactly how the silencer works on ideal logic
Damit Ermi! If I didnt have to settle my son I would have had this one. Angrily transfering annoyance that I am now sleeping on a floor beside a cot.

Ha ha our 3 year old has chicken pox and was a mare to settle Monday . Thumbs up for being a top dad though.

Oh the pox ermis,,, all that red dotties

Ooh get you, Proffesor Ermintrude answering the question there.

in work today listening to another plumbs chirping about these saying that they stop water hammer , have i missed something with these devices as i thought they where for thermal expansion??
They're for both water hammer and thermal expansion. Where a water meter is fitted with built in non-return check valve with a boiler with small thermal store (eg Vaillant Ecotec plus combi range) they are essential. Can void manufacturers warranty if damaged by expansion.
But then again I could be wrong. :bomb:

intergas need them on high water pressure as well, as the flow switch is activated when custards turn off their ceramic mixers, leaves them puzzled when the boiler fires up. Its always occurs to the ones who a. refuse a pressure reducing valve or b. dont like that shock arrester on the pipework - please take that away that then come back winging when the problem occurs. So automatically the cost of parts triples, having shown it in the estimate first time round and had them wittle down the costs:)

Anyway doesnt Ermintrude have a bell round her neck?, trolling indeed,............... Moi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to shock arrestors in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

About 9 months now, started suffering intermittent but frequent hydraulic shock thwacks, sometimes very violent, below Harvey's water softener in...
Replies
Views
We have recently had water hammer issues. Plumbers have installed an arrestor near our kitchen sink and a device in the toilet cistern to slow...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I have been a plumber for 3 years now, I haven't come across many issues with water hammer so I'm not to sure what to do. it happens...
Replies
Views
Hi I've got water hammer issues with my cold feed and some with the hot feed. When the cold sink tap, cold bath tap and thermostatic shower in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock