Search the forum,

Discuss Is it normal for PVC water pipes to Hammer? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I've got water hammer issues with my cold feed and some with the hot feed. When the cold sink tap, cold bath tap and thermostatic shower in the main bathroom is opened and closed there are hammering sounds from the living room ceiling. It sounds like knocking. There's no hammering whilst the water is running. The house was built in 2022.

The developer's plumber who I believe installed the plumbing came round, he didn't do any investigation other than stand around to listen to the hammer whilst my wife opened and closed the taps and shower. He then said that it was normal for plastic water pipes to hammer?! I feel this is BS and would like to hear other opinions. None of my neighbours in the street have issues.

The water pressure at the PRV is around 40-60psi depending on the time of day, I tested the pressure from the garden tap which is the second run off from the stopcock and it matched the PRV pressure at the time of 40psi. So the PRV is not faulty which may have masked a high pressure. So could the next probable cause be the water pipes not anchored properly?

I have an unvented cylinder and was wondering if there is anything with that system that could cause water hammer?

Thanks

Definitely worth checking the clipping distances. It's not uncommon for plastic pipework to be installed with insufficient support. "What's the correct clipping interval for plastic pipe?" is a simple question with a complicated answer:

The exact type of pipe is usually printed on it. If not, measure its OD by wrapping a piece of string around it twice and dividing that length by 6.28.

Reply to Is it normal for PVC water pipes to Hammer? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock