Search the forum,

Discuss Removal BBU but keeping fire fitting combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mcniven

I've just fitted a combi removed old cylinder etc, normally I'd just cap the gas going into fire and BBU but this person wants to keep fire. Is it just the case of turning the valve to fire only? What if the valve passes? The gas valve shouldn't open anyway because I've killed the electrical circuit. What you think?

The way I have done this in the past is remove the 3 way cock and just piped in the fire.

Dont forget the BBU will have to be drilled (10mm holes if I remember correctly) to stop any remaining water in the heat ex expanding when the fire is in use and a build up of pressure causing an explosion.

ive just not capped the old f & r coming from boiler mate for all that will be in there!

Remove the burner tray and cap of the supply that went to the gas valve.
Remove electric supply and cut off pipes leaving waterways open.
Some manu's are not happy for this to be done so best to consult them.

Just checked.
Technical Bulletin 091 covers this
1. Burner tray to be left in place
2. Electrics isolated (not just cut)
3. pipework cut as close to BBU as possible and left open
4. Always consult manufacturer as some allow it some dont

Last edited:
The way i have always done it is.

1/ leave flow and returns open.

2/ Disconect main electric supply, remove wires from gas valve.

3/ Cut thermocouple and make sure that the service cock is turned to fire only.

Never heard of a manufacture not being happy with using the fire only, aslong as it's all still connected as the fireside unit should be.

Bob

I remember once at a landlords safety setting out my kit and servicing the bbu ... with the bbu stripped down a student traipse through the living room into the kitchen and there on the wall is a shiny new Duo-Tec :32:

when leaving the fire in you should take out the burner tray and all electric and flow and return but cap off the htg pipework in the chamber in case any fumes go up the pipe work, disconnect the union from the gas valve and put it back on the 3 way valve and place a 1/2" cap on the thread. the reason for this is the 3 way valve work in a way that the gas valve is always open hence the cap, so the first quarter turn is gas valve only then the next turn is gas valve and fire,

I spoke to Baxi regarding this the other month. I went to service a combi where the tennent had one fitted on a grant. The existing fire and back-boiler had been capped off and electrics disconnected. Customer asked if i could connect fire back on. I noticed that all the burner tray had been removed so i contacted baxi and they said that the fire could NOT be connected back on because the burner tray had been removed. Would be ok to use fire if boiler is capped and burner tray was left in. Best advice is contact manufacturer.

As above, my previous post was taken directly from TB 091 which is fairly recent.

Anyone coming up with different answers should log on to the Gas Safe website and have a quick read.
Thats the thing with this job, rules and regs move on all the time.

I'm not saying the slight variations are any more or less safe its just that that's what the guidelines are there for.

From what I can gather the idea of leaving the burner tray in place is because on some boilers it can provide physical support to the fire, but as with all things in our job Mi's overrule all.

Helpfull post this was asked this exact question no more than 2 hours ago and said i would have to refer to my online gas safe members. They wont to keep the fire but the existing boilers estimated to be 20+ years old and no spares avalible so would of thought better to do away with the whole let

for me and my peace of mind i would email the manufacture and follow there guidelines. The reason i would email is so i had it in writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Removal BBU but keeping fire fitting combi in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock