Search the forum,

Discuss Recommendations for plug to avoid need to drain down storage tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

The isolating valve on the tank outlet is sized so I'm looking for a tool or technique for plugging the tank outlet so the valve can be changed. I can feel that the bore of the fitting to be plugged is not smooth, appears to have 2 ridges!

Advice and suggestions, please

As Last says, syphon it - you don’t want 50 gallons coming at you all in a rush when something goes wrong!

The easiest way is to place a hosepipe in the tank and then go to outside or a toilet or a bath, suck on the hose to start the syphoning and then hold the end where it can go safely to waste.

1. If you are talking about the cold water storage cistern, as I think you are, then you have three options:
1a. Shut off the inlet valve and drain it.
1b. Use a bung such as Toolstation 31768. It should seal even against the internal splines used to secure the outlet fitting. Best to have someone in the loft to shove it back in again if it shows signs of moving. Otherwise you will have a flood.
1c. Freeze the pipe.
2. If you are talking about the hot water cylinder, then as others have suggested above. Don't forget you will have to isolate the cold water storage cistern to drain the hot water cylinder, so may have to do what is in 1. above anyway, unless there is a working isolation / gate valve on the cold inlet to the hot water cylinder.

Reply to Recommendations for plug to avoid need to drain down storage tank in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock