Discuss Radiator Valve Drain Off Hose in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jericlin

Hi

More than 10 years ago I designed and installed my own Central Heating ( for better or worse, but so far no problems )
All the radiators had TVRs and Drain Off valves fitted that have 10mm / 3/8" drain off spigots.

The time has come ( first time ) to flush and drain the system to remove any sludge etc. ready for the next 10 years !

I intended to drain and flush each radiator in sequence until run off is clear but now find a problem in sourcing a suitable flexible hose which can be securely attached ( Jubilee Clip ) to the 10mm / 3/8" drain off spigot to run either outside the house or connect to 1/2" standard hosepipe.

Any good ideas, sources or advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Eric

( Cleveland NE England )

Can you fit a small container under them (e.g. Tesco ice cream). If you use 2 and have a bucket you can drain that way.

I used the " Tub " method to empty header tank before introducing " Flushing Concentrate " but had hoped to use a method which would be less time consuming so I can let the system flush itself. and get on with other things inime.e t my limited spar

You could choose a radiator downstairs and close it's valves then undo the nuts, drain it then remove the radiator.

Then connect (a can't remember which size) female fitting and various other parts down to a 15mm pipe. (I made one of these and keep it in a toolbox for the odd time I require it.) Then hose pipe to this and drain all the upstairs radiators and heating circuit. Then do the downstairs radiators individually (which you'd have to do in any case). Before filling system it could be an idea to change one of the lockshields to a conventional hose size 0drain valve.

female fitting will be either 1/2" or 3/4" depending on valve

Just wrap an elastic band around it and use an ordinary garden hose and rump the jubilee clip up.

Thanks,

You made me think a bit more about what I fitted. I have 2 normal 15mm drain of cocks on both flow and return pipes at the bottom of their drop from 1st to ground floor. I can close off all radiators and flush them one at a time through these. I want to do them individually so I can be as sure as possible that each one is clear now, whilst I am " young enough " !

Sorry did not read what I had typed carefully enough ! - and get on with other things inime.e t my limited spar was supposed to say " and get on with other things in my limited spare time "

well if you follow the advice, you can after draining back fill the system by connecting the hose to an outside tap or w/m valve. isolate the boiler flow and return and all rads except one, connect hose to opposite rad valve to the one you are filling from, water will flush pipework and the open rad only then exit to drain. when runs clear close the open rad and open the next and repeat till all rads clear. this works very well and is easy. after rads open boiler flow and return and flush that out. job done.

obviously if it is not a sealed system (combi) then the open vent needs capping and the f and e feed isolating.

Thanks

Was just going to let header tank refill and that flow flush the radiators out one by one. Just checking state of discharged water from time to time.

its more efficient to isolate the tank and just back fill and flush rads one by one by closing the rad valves in turn.

a good flush would see you remove each rad in turn and flush individually, then the pipes

if you used inhibitor then it should be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator Valve Drain Off Hose in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back