Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator never properly heats up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BILLJOHNSON

RADIATOR NEVER FULLY HEATS UP
I have a 10 year old Worcester Bosch 30 HE combi boiler, serviced each year by Worcester Bosch. There are 6 radiators - all modest size - and a bathroom towel rail on the system, in a standard size non-extended 3 bedroom 1930’s semi. My Hall radiator – the last I think on the system – did not fully warm up last spring. The lower half was always cold. During the summer, after the annual service, I had the Hall radiator (600w output) upgraded to a larger one (900w output), with new thermostatic valve by a local plumbing/heating engineer.

The man who did the job emptied and refilled the system, bled all the radiators, but the problem remains. Several times afterwards I tried to bleed all the rads, but all I get out is clear water. The Hall rad gets warmish – never hot - at the top, but never heats up at the bottom. The man who upgraded the radiator said I did not need a power flush as, to quote his words, “the system is perfect”. He reckoned some air was trapped in the pipework under the floor, between the last two radiators and tried “walking” the air through the system. Despite his efforts the problem remains. He reckoned the last two rads are linked (the other is in the living room). When the CH system was installed the engineer used coils of grey rubber/plastic looking pipework under the floor, not copper. Could there be a sag in this non-copper pipework that might be trapping the air, even after draining and refilling the system?

Several times I have switched off all other radiators except the Hall one, and left it for 4 to 5 hours each time, but it still never warmed up properly all the way down, unlike the other rads.

Any other ideas as to what the solution might be?

If air is trapped in the pipework I guess that replacement of the pipework between the living room and hall radiator (6 or 8 feet) would cure the problem?

Apologies for the length of this post, but I wanted to include all relevant facts as far as possible.

This may be a stupid question but did they balance all the radiators to allow equal temperature coverage???
Welcome to the forum

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, bILLYj.
You sure have sludge in there. 10yrs old. So it is serviced annualy by WB, but that counts for nothing. Try asking WB what they think the problem is and see what they say? I can guarantee they tell you a Powerflush is needed for an eye watering amount.
If you have turned off all rads bare one in hall and no improvement, then take it out and use garden tap/hose to give it a good flush, banging it with a mallet to release any iron oxide in there, then refit fill and see if that improves things. If you are able to replace the valves (both), replace them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator never properly heats up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am trying to workout in what order my radiators heat up in order to then balance them. I am able to figure out which radiator pipe is the flow/return on each radiator so that I can then grab the right pipe to check which heats up first. There has been an extension done on this house at some...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
O
Hi All, We renovated our house in 2019 and put in completely new plumbing system and piping including new boiler and 9 radiators. Off those, there is one radiator in the living room which does not heat up at all. I have tried balancing myself and also had a professional come in to balance it...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Evening all. I have an open vented C/H system with a heat only boiler and 10 rads over 3 floors. I checked the system mid summer and all was ok. Now one radiator won’t get hot. ALL rads contain water, I have bled all rads. No hot water getting to flow pipe of cold rad. All other rads are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock