Search the forum,

Discuss Rad pipes chased outside?? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

A

AJake135

Hi all,

Background situation… I’ve refit our new bathroom from scratch, re-located toilet waste, all new plumbing for wastes and supplies within floorboards etc and new shower valve pipe work etc chased in to internal wall.

So I have had to do a lot of research, and I’ve muddled along ok so far…

I have a hurdle though, I’ve now got a wall hung rad to install, that wasn’t in the original plans. Plumbing is there ish for it…

Only thing is that I don’t want 2 long pipes going down the wall and I don’t fancy pulling the tiles I’ve already laid on that wall to chase them in internally.

It’s on an external wall. What I was going to do, was exit the rad pipes at floor level (boxed in) chase them in up the OUTSIDE wall then come back in where the bottom of the rad is.

So I know the need for insulation, I was going to chase them in quite deep, then fill around with expanding foam, then finish the external surface how it was.

Would this be ok to do like this?

If not I need some suggestions etc lol

Thank you in advance :)

Expanding foam only has a k value around 0,035 so is little better than fibreglass if my memory serves me correctly. I'd be seriously concerned that the cold bridge effect of laying them in external brickwork would create a serious frost risk if you ever go on holiday (though I suppose you could add glycol to your primary water), and I think as far as Part L of the Building Regulations are concerned, this would be considered a waste of energy.

What if you run them externally, and then insulate the complete outside wall, thus securing them safely on the warm side of your new thermal envelope? Alternatively, run them to the opposite bottom ends of your new radiator, perhaps in chrome pipe - would it really look that bad? If the pipes come from above, can you not run them down to below floor level via an adjacent room and perhaps chase them into an internal wall or the inner skin of an external wall somewhere where you don't have tiles?

Nope

What about an electric towel rail ?

Reply to Rad pipes chased outside?? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock