Search the forum,

Discuss Pump problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike Jackson

Called to look at a problem on a pumped system today. House is well off the beaten track with a very poor mains pressure and flow. only the kitchen sink is on the mains. The rest are fed from a storage tank in the roof space of a single storey extension via a Grundfos MQ3-35 pump. This feeds an unvented cylinder and all other cold outlets. When an outlet is opened the flow is initially great but as the pressure drops and the pump kicks in the flow is greatly reduced and the pump continues to run for quite a long time after the outlet is shut.

This indicated to me that the pump is not working at it's full capacity and struggling to keep up/repressurise the pipework. I'm thinking either blocked inlet or faulty impeller as if the problem was with the outlet side the pump would keep cutting in and out. There is no obvious blockage but I haven't stripped the pump yet as i want to get a service kit in case I damage any seals.

Anyone got any other thoughts on a cause?

When the pump starts it doesn't open the PRV/TPRV does it? Just a thought.

It's not shutting off slowly so much as taking one hell of a long time to build the pressure back up.

Not familiar with the pump Mike, if me I would start with the inlet side of things and if possible measure pressure & flow rate is up to spec to see if the pump is being staved of supply.

Any signs of cavitation, and can you reduce the outlet flow on this pump to balance out the inlet & outlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pump problems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock