Search the forum,

Discuss Problems with manifold. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMB

Hi,
I am slowly refurbishing my mothers old house for us to move in.

Fitting a new CH system. (All gas work and boiler installation is being done by a local firm).

The problem I have is with the CH manifold. Where I am joining the manifolds together they leak, a small drip now and then. I have tried much PTFE tape, but as the manifolds screw together with only three and a half turns and without the PTFE the joint flexes a fair, it really is quite loose.

When I put it in the fixings to the wall join seemed tight, but when I took it down after the leak it was nowhere near as tight.

what are my options? Considered soldering them together but that seems an admission of failure.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

cheers

SMB

The manifolds are made by Emmeti of Italy. Photo below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 96
Is that for underflooR?

I'm guessing there should be a washer in between them or you should have got a bigger manifold!?

No washer is listed and the manufacturers quote that they can be joined together.
The largest manifold they do of this type is 4 ways.

Cheers

Is it for underfloor heating or radiators? Emmeti is underfloor gear I think

I have only ever made an mic threaded type joint into the end if a manifold, not another manifold! If it only goes in 3 1/2 turns then you don't have much thread to get a good seal... Soldering won't work on a threaded joint too well!

Maybe some loctite 55 cord would be better

Thanks.

As all merchants are closed now will have to wait.

Thanks for your advice.

boss white and hemp if that doesnt work

The problem.
When joining the two manifolds, when aligned only 3 1/2 thread turns. Although you could get another 3/4 turn before the thread bottomed out but the outlets were not aligned.
When I bought the manifolds no rubber ring was listed for these manifolds so did not know they were available.

This thread slack allowed the PTFE to be compressed when fitting thus giving rise to a slight weep. Tried using a lot of PTFE. This produced a very firm connection. However in the fitting process the joint must have been strained leading to a slight weep.

Over w/e no merchants available for loctite 55 or boss white plus hemp. So tried this.

Filed the end of the male thread (used my bench mounted disc sander bit by bit) so that when screwed together the male thread bottomed out in the female thread with the outlets aligned. Then PTFE tape did seal as there was now no movement between the two manifolds.

Had it been a work day would have used loctite 55. So thought that there was nothing to lose with this method.

so all good now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problems with manifold. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock