Discuss powerflush and gas tightness with new boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lambchop81

Hi all,ave few enquiries regarding new boiler installation with powerflush.

Was advised that job would take two days, first day they will fit new boiler and second do the powerflush.
Upon questioning why they`re not doing powerflush first was told central heating not going to be used so no debris will enter new boiler.

Upon coming home first day was told boiler is all functional and benchmark sheet was all filled up.
Were they able to get values for central heating mode without firing central heating and thus getting debris into new boiler before doing powerflush?

And second question is regarding gas leak.
It was discovered only on second day when they came to do powerflush, later was fixed but was advised that there will be extra charge.
Now, am I right in thinking that they must have caused leak as none was advised during first day, and to best of my knowledge duty of care requires engineer to check tightness before and after any work done?

Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have done the flush first personally... then had a magnetic filter installed when the boiler was being piped so it should have been v clean for a nice new boiler.

Larry lambchop did you go for the cheapest quote??

Took 5 quotes and they were all within £100 difference. And no, it wasn't cheapest but neither most expensive.

To expand on that, from my experience atleast, choosing most expensive quote doesn't guarantee better job.

Thanks for your input.

Took 5 quotes and they were all within £100 difference. And no, didn't take cheapest but didn't go for most expensive either.

Also, from my experience atleast, paying more doesn't mean job will be done better.

Thanks for your input though.

Fair point well made lambchop,

in answer to your original post. The flush should be carried out first in my opinion. You can ask for a water sample so that you can check the water quality and check that the correct dose of inhibitor has been added.
with the gas leak a tightness test should've been carried out on day one. This would've indicated a leak straight away. Sadly a few people shut off gas, install boiler and THEN carry out their one and only tightness test. I'd argue the extra cost.

Did you have a filter fitted? Ie magnaclean?

Gas leak seems an odd one though, how much extra did they charge? If it wasn't noticed by you have you any proof that there was one?
Seeing as you were throwing a few K their way you think they might have said " We found a wee gas leak but took care of it for you FOC"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to powerflush and gas tightness with new boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back