Discuss Possible legal issue coming. Advice required. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Section 11 of landlord and tenancy act 1985. The landlord has to address the issues within a reasonable timescale. One week seems to be a president in law from one case I am aware of. Christmas is no excuse. The landlord/agent should have systems in place for urgent repairs. No hot water, I would imagine falls into this area, as hot water provision is a minimum requirement under tenancy.

I hate to say it, but you may have to swallow it and put it down to experiance.

It can be argued youve done the work but the home owner hasn't authorised the work or have a contract with you for doing so.

its like someone tarmacing your drive without consent and then charging you, because your neighbor said they could.

and as your friend is the tennent, are you going to charge them?

Section 11 of landlord and tenancy act 1985. The landlord has to address the issues within a reasonable timescale. One week seems to be a president in law from one case I am aware of. Christmas is no excuse. The landlord/agent should have systems in place for urgent repairs. No hot water, I would imagine falls into this area, as hot water provision is a minimum requirement under tenancy.

Well said was about to quote similar.
As there were no means of making residence habitable, hot water for washing and preparing food or for hygiene ; the premises are deemed unfit for habitation. As the landlord is obliged to provide a habitable premises the Tennant can deduct cost from rent to action works if the vendor fails to achieve conditions of contract.

Tennant may need proof of attempts to contact agent.

Also I believe you own parts. With consent of friend remove them .

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue has been sorted this afternoon and full payment has been made. I actually ended up being offered a further job by them WITH a purchase order. Persistence paid off this time so its a good job im a stubborn :nono: or id of been out of pocket.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great news. Obviously the landlord saw reason and has seen a valuable opportunity in another reliable contractor to help them out.

I always try and get hold of landlords before starting any work.

I got called out to a job which the landlord's [former] plumber had tried repeatedly to sort and I fixed it in about 10 minutes, and after that I got all the future work.

I'm glad you got paid so a good debate this time.

I would always get the tenant to sign prior to works so they have no comeback if they haven't complied with their landlord/tenant contract.

You just know you will get stiffed if you take a chance more than once; the simple piece of paper could be worth a couple of hundred quid if you've fitted parts and keeps you in the clear.

As for taking them out, I'm not certain you are allowed to do that without the Landlords permission as once the parts are over the threshold and installed, it's no different to fitting a boiler and they didn't pay, it's their property and you have to go to court if they won't recompense you for it.

I know a plumber who gained entry to a site and ripped his bathroom suite back out after non payment; he was visited by the police that afternoon for possible burgary and advised to refit it or he will also be liable for damage and theft.......he nearly had a cardiac with his temper but still had to return the goods that he never got paid for.

No point in court action as they didn't have any money!!

I wouldn't fit anything without an autograph, glad you got your money though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Possible legal issue coming. Advice required. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back