Search the forum,

Discuss Old boiler advice / issues in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi there I’m a tenant and after advice before trying to tackle what I think is an issue with my land lord.

I’ve been in the property about 9 years now and despite numerous requests he’s not had the boiler tested, he’s said it has been but no one has been the the home to check it.

It’s a really old Glow worm space saver mk 2, I don’t even have hot running water unless the heating is on.

My concerns other than the obvious lack of safety checks is the age of the unit and the fact it’s highly inefficient. Add to that most of the rads in the house leak or only get luke warm etc In an ideal situation I’d hope the unit would be replaced with a new boiler that I know is safe and then tested regularly.

I’m wondering if I should pay myself to get someone out to test it and hope it should be condemned so I can force the issue?

I let the issue rest with just reminders every 6 months but now he’s want to put the rent up by 50% to bring it in line with local values I’m not happy to pay market rate with sub standard/possibly unsafe heating etc.

My worry before was that it’s going to be a big job and i I forced the issue he would put my rent up but if he’s doing that anyway I don’t have anything to loose by forcing the issue.

I would ask for the gas safety certificate for the last time it was tested

I’ve been asking for that for over 8 years now and not had it produced.I strongly believe he hasn’t had it tested in quite some time longer than I’ve lived here.

Get in contact with gas safe and hse as it’s mandatory and they will put pressure on him

Environmental health at local council will enforce it. You should get copies of the landlords gas safety certificate.

Has the property had an electrical inspection during your tenancy or recently?
As with Gas inspections, Electrical are now mandatory for rented property form April 2021.

Report both to Local Authoritity

And the Landlord can't put the rent up by 50% in one go, they should have been increasing it over the years by smaller amounts.

Has the property had an electrical inspection during your tenancy or recently?
As with Gas inspections, Electrical are now mandatory for rented property form April 2021.

Report both to Local Authoritity

And the Landlord can't put the rent up by 50% in one go, they should have been increasing it over the years by smaller amounts.

Definitely report to Environmental Health at council.

Rent increases can be any amount, unless mandated in original tenancy agreement.
Although the rent increase has to be issued on a section 13 and if you dont agree you can take it to a fair rent tribunal. You continue to pay old rent amount until the tribunal adjudicates. If you pay the new rent amount then it is classed as you accepting the increase

He’s never had any one look at the gas or electrics since we have been hear. I know there’s an electrical issue on the extension there’s high earth impedance I’ve spoken to him about it before (directly) and repeatedly he reply’s with I’ll get it look at and then doesn’t. I wasn’t forcing the issues out of worry’s about the rent increase well now that’s happened anyway I can at least insist that the property is safe.

Thing is we don’t every ask for much we do almost all maintenance our selves apart from gas and electricity.

Reply to Old boiler advice / issues in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock