Search the forum,

Discuss Plumbing - Technical Certificate City & Guilds 6129 - Level 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sevx

Hi,

Basically I'm 23 and my local college will fund the Plumbing - Technical Certificate City & Guilds 6129 - Level 2 for nothing all I've to pay for is the tools and books.

I was wondering even though it will cost me £0 is it worth doing at all if I want to get into the plumbing world as I can't get a apprenticeship as they require over 5 A- C GCSE which I don't have. But everywhere I've looked and even in the Guardian newspaper qualified plumbers have been saying they're a load of rubbish and wont help at all.

Just wanted some opinions on the matter to see if it was worth while or to try another route.

Cheers,
Rob

Its a waste of time if you don't do nvq which gives you real skills you need. Tech cert won't get you a job. I've done it but I was in different position. Chris Watkins might give you more advice what would be best option for you. :)

Concentrate on your gcse's first. If you can't manage that there is an equivalency course. You will need this to be able to progress. Plumbing is not just jointing pipes it is a very technical and complicated profession there is a lot of maths involved and scientific equations of various kinds.

Look online for heat loss calculations and pipe sizing if you can understand it ALL you MAY be ok. If it fries your brain consider tiling

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

If you can get with a qualified plumberyou can do your nvq but be sure it is what you want,because i believe you only get nvq funding once

Hi,

Basically I'm 23 and my local college will fund the Plumbing - Technical Certificate City & Guilds 6129 - Level 2 for nothing all I've to pay for is the tools and books.

I was wondering even though it will cost me £0 is it worth doing at all if I want to get into the plumbing world as I can't get a apprenticeship as they require over 5 A- C GCSE which I don't have. But everywhere I've looked and even in the Guardian newspaper qualified plumbers have been saying they're a load of rubbish and wont help at all.

Just wanted some opinions on the matter to see if it was worth while or to try another route.

Cheers,
Rob
Hi Rob
I have got to say I have not heard of free course but pay for your own tools & books, why can't you borrow there's ? The Tech Cert is an old qualification which finishes this year (last registrations by Christmas) & as others have said it is not recognized in the industry unless you have the NVQ to go with it (6129 + 6089). Government funds up to the age of 25 but it reduces the amount it pays as you get older, (at 18+ ours have to pay £1500 a year towards the shortfall) & it goes up a lot more by your age. Anyway the long & sort of it is the 6129 is not worth much & will not get you a job & if you do get a plumbing job so that you can do the NVQ you will almost certainly have to pay all or a large part of the course fee. The new replacement is the 6035 but have no details from City & Guilds it to will not be recognized because there is no on site assessment (NVQ). Sorry but if you are really serious about entering the trade you really need to get a job working along side a plumber however difficult that is at the moment.

Hi,

Cheers,
Rob

Hi Rob, how are things?

The 6129 or its replacement 6035 are both available and designed to meet all the same outcomes in the college as an NVQ. The only but you will be missing is the on-site evidence and assessments. If you complete the 6129 or 6035 you will not be 'fully' qualified but will have a C&G's plumbing qualification which should help when applying for apprenticeships, with the advantage of only having to upgrade the onsite bits to enable you to be fully NVQ qualified.

The 6129/6035 can be free, when you require the NVQ you will have to pay but will have completed many units of it and therefore many centres offer the upgrade for free or at minimal cost.

I advise you make an informed decision, check out the quals and then make your decision.

best wishes

fuzzy

Cheers thanks for the help,

I went into the college today spoke to people and enrolled for free on the 6035 course doing nights starting in two weeks time. So I can't complain as it's free and after the two years the college will allow me to do the NVQ level 2 part and will help with looking for jobs. So I will see how it goes and thanks for the input.

Hi all

I am currently studying C&G 6035 Diploma in plumbing studies level 3. I was suppose to pay £1,400 for this but Trafford College has annonced that it is free, so anyone wanting to do it come to trafford college asap. The only problem that I have with the 6035 course is that there are no practicle assessments and also the practicle portfilo is a lot smaller than the 6129. However, if the college your attending has gas facilities then your tutors will allow you to carry out gas in the workshop.

Is anybody willing to give me some Core Domestic Gas Principels exam questions from the previous 6129?

My question to everybody

I am aware previously on the 6129 everbody had to achieve their Gola exam. On this new qualification 6035. I have been told that it is a written exam. Could somebody explain a little bit more on this?

Many thanks

Mohammed

Also for those who are on an apprenticeship will they have to achieve the 6189 & 6035 together?

Many thanks

Mohammed

Hi all

I am currently studying C&G 6035 Diploma in plumbing studies level 3. I was suppose to pay £1,400 for this but Trafford College has annonced that it is free, so anyone wanting to do it come to trafford college asap. The only problem that I have with the 6035 course is that there are no practicle assessments and also the practicle portfilo is a lot smaller than the 6129. However, if the college your attending has gas facilities then your tutors will allow you to carry out gas in the workshop.

Is anybody willing to give me some Core Domestic Gas Principels exam questions from the previous 6129?

My question to everybody

I am aware previously on the 6129 everbody had to achieve their Gola exam. On this new qualification 6035. I have been told that it is a written exam. Could somebody explain a little bit more on this?

Many thanks

Mohammed

who is your tutor ?

6189 only Mohammed as this is NVQ & the only one recognised by industry, there will be very little info cos as you now know they are still finalising it.
The 6189 has 4 project type exams which are proving to be a real challenge we have just done sanitation & hot water just starting on the heating (we have sent the cold one back to C&G as it just was not possible to do.
I hope your exams are not based on these cos with all due respect without work experience you would not stand a chance of passing them.

6189 only Mohammed as this is NVQ & the only one recognised by industry, there will be very little info cos as you now know they are still finalising it.
The 6189 has 4 project type exams which are proving to be a real challenge we have just done sanitation & hot water just starting on the heating (we have sent the cold one back to C&G as it just was not possible to do.
I hope your exams are not based on these cos with all due respect without work experience you would not stand a chance of passing them.

Interesting, I've just finished the 6189 (1 on site assessment to do) and all exams were online Gola. We didn't have any written project type although I think it would have been good if there were cos the course was pretty basic.

Interesting, I've just finished the 6189 (1 on site assessment to do) and all exams were online Gola. We didn't have any written project type although I think it would have been good if there were cos the course was pretty basic.
This is at Level 3 (only on-line at level 2) Are you doing Level 2 & then going onto Level 3 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing - Technical Certificate City & Guilds 6129 - Level 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, looking to gain experience as a plumber's mate in Essex area, I'm from Rayleigh and have a full driving licence and Van. Looking for a step into domestic plumbing. I have experience working in general property maintenance for a family business. I have completed a Level 2 technical...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just recently completed my Level 2 City & Guilds Plumbing Course and am now looking for bit of work / experience working alongside an experience plumber to further my knowledge, I am 33, based in Brentwood, Essex and have tools and car. I have done a few domestic jobs for friends and...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I am a level 2 plumbing student of London Southeast college in search of an apprenticeship. Thank you. Email: [email protected]
Replies
Views
Saadudeen Abdulwaheed
S
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's found it challenging trying to find a place to work, or gain experience in order to obtain my nvq level 2 even though I've passed my level 2 diploma 2...
Replies
Views
Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few positions, did a bit of freelance and was continually working late hours and evenings unpaid as well as every weekend. I ended up getting burnout and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock