Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Plumbing near electric sockets in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starkraving

I've just had a boiler fitted. I've noticed that there is now a 'T' compression joint just two inches above an electric plug socket, into which the boiler is plugged.

Is this safe? It's not leaking, but I presume it may do so sometime in the future, and it will be hidden from view so not immediately obvious.

Thanks in advance.

As far as I am aware, the last I checked, there is no min distance for water pipes to be from electric sockets
Obviously they should not obstruct the use of the socket but these dimensions are built in to the socket itself, so pipe should not cover any part of the socket however it can be fitted next to it and 2'' as you state is quite acceptable, if it was a gas pipe ,it should be 150 mm away from socket
There is no reason the pipe should leak, fittings can support far larger pressures than are found in daily use, I would make sure it is supported correctly, however if hidden from sight probably less chance of being knocked
With it being so close has brought this to your attention however if the pipe was 1m above socket and leaked the consequences could be the same

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be honest electrical regs is not my strong point but I always install (where possible obviously) my pipework below plug sockets that way if leaks, has a build up of condensation and drips etc it will not have an effect on the socket.

Thanks for the replies. Someone suggested covering the socket with a plastic box and sealing it. I may try that just to be on the safe side.

personally speaking i would not of installed any water pipe work so close, especially if i had to use compression joints plus i always try to run a fused 3 amp spur direct to the boiler and not use a plug-in socket. but thats just the way i try to do it everybody has their own ways i suppose...

why does a gas pipe need to be so far away fr.........it's going to be sparks isn't it? sparks and gas. answered my own question i'm sure.

Gas pipes over 22mm need to be 50mm from cables.
These dimensions can be reduced if a non conductive barrier (conduit or sleeve) is between the pipe and cable or accessory. Useful to remember for cases where you just can't get the clearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing near electric sockets in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
C
I found this forum on google as I need advice. Before I start, I know nothing about plumbing or central heating systems other than what I’ve read...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock