Search the forum,

Discuss plumber unregistered in gas causes gas explosion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sending him to jail gives the wrong message, he should have get 5 years...... he will probably be allowed to do his acs for free as part of his sentence.

he got 10 months ?? and 150 hours CS and suspended for a year

aww i see now, its the way i read it.

ÂŁ125 to fix a dripping tap ??????????????

What a shame for that poor bloke. And that plumber should have easily been sentenced to time inside. Its unfair really.

I'm doing my accounts at minute for the first time, and I think I'm more scared of the Taxman than the law after reading that.

the law is joke in this country, see it all the time around here people getting away with all sorts and just end up with a slap on the wrist

that stinks , i would be sending my mates round for a re-educational visit

"the plumber warned him he was unqualified" - oh thats alright then...

And of course he didn't have public liability insurance either.
Just shocking

Unbelievable, The fact he has destroyed a home, traumatised a family, destroyed their possesions, and only got a 150 hours of unpaid work makes a complete mockery out of the justice system, can you imagine what the sentence would be if he were gas safe registered. Plus the fact he was working while uninsured he would have got more if he drove a car with no insurance, This bloke should be doing time

Perhaps the judge was frightened of being sued for giving a harsher sentence? Or was there a favour owed to a barrister?

I don't think I'm cynical ...

well I hope that next week the bugger is servicing the judges boiler, then maybe the judge will learn a thing or two

just makes ye wonder why we pay all this money out to be gas safe when that is all that happens to ye when ye dodgy not to mention the money to pass ye acs ÂŁ8000 for me all in all he should have been well jailed ,suspended sentence is just a joke this countrys gone mad plus he,s left the site with an open ended gas pipe and the main at that,makes ye wonder who else is out there,scary i always have caps and stop ends just incase i have run out of something

uninsured and unqualified....

10 month suspended a load of crap and 150 hours ?

what a disgrace

On a much lesser scale it's like speeding. 3 points on a clean licence - no ifs, no buts, 3 points.

If, however, you're in court with 3 previous speeding offences with 9 points and facing another they let you off because it would cause hardship.

Ditto driving without insurance. A ÂŁ200 fine and 6 points. Makes you wonder why we spend ÂŁ300+ for annual insurance.

ohhh and apparantly you can try and hit a police officer with a machete and escape jail sentence aswell(read about this sometime last year)

At the risk of being lynched I don't think he should have been jailed and I think the judge got it about right. As heart-tearing as the story is and as hideous as the consequences were.

It looks to me like there was no evidence of willful neglegence or mallace of forethought. I'm not saying there wasn't either of those two things present. Just quite likely not enough evidence to suggest either. And evidence is obviously, and rightly, ALL they should go on. Not photos of burnt people or stories of heart-wrenching heroism. The effects of your crime are only relevant if you are demonstrably aware that they might occur. Otherwise, no matter how hideous they might be, I'm afraid they're just not very relevant. It's why we don't jail children. Or, rather, why we shouldn't.

He very liekly didn't leave that place thinking "I better hurry up or they'll blow up if someone sparks a cig." It was technically an accident. One down to unbelievable, inutterably huge levels of stupidity and ignorance, yes. But that also almost vindicates his defence. Who but someone who had not the first idea about what he was doing would have done what he did? I'd take some persuading he had the slightest idea it was even a risk. Or at least what consequences might be involved. He was probably just an imbecile, a low-level fraudster and someone who egotistically thought he knew a lot more than he did about the things he did. So what punishment should that type of person get when - as statistics would have it - one of them is the cause of a disaster...

When we see something that outrages our senses, pulls our heartstrings and rightly inflames every moral sensibility we can forget that the only things that matter when trying someone is what you can prove. You'd want the same if it were you. This must mean the odd shockingly dangerous, unthinking, cheating, stealing excuse for a human being gets away with near murder. Currently, that's the best system we've come up with. The judge had a hard call. I think it's too easy to presume they're soft or idiots. I think, given the system he HAS to work within - he judged correctly.

p.s. trust the daily mail to mention the price of the house...

Just grabbing me pitchfork and a burning firebrand, Sorry watertight I totaly disagree, firstly working with no public liability should in itself be a criminal offence, secondly he knew he was not Gas Safe therefore under no circumstances should he have touched any Gas end of. I notice that the plumber in question has now retired, well bully for him the fact that he has a nice little nest egg to be able to retire on, and I still maintain that if this was a Gas Safe registered engineer that did this they would be doing time

a plumber of his age should be aware of the dangers of gas even if hes not gas safe

Good gutsy post, WaterTight.

I wonder sometimes how many others say to themselves, "There for the grace of God..." Could happen to one of us no matter how careful we are. Chances are less likely we could end up destroying someone's house as we've got qualifications, etc, but that's why we have insurance ... the possibility is still there.

Hmmm - I posted before I read the above two posts!! I agree with those points as well and sincerely hope this doesn't turn into a major argument.

I agree strongly with what was said,
a fraudster is still a fraudster, he intentionally did the work when he knew he was not gas safe registered.
the fact that he told the customer he was not gas safe registered prooves that he knew that he should of been gas safe registered.
There should be a minimum sentence for this and I believe that it should be the same as attempted murder as that is what he has done, attempted to murder these people, wether it was intentional or not, he has still done it.
at the very least it should be arson.
retired? I guess this is for 12 months untill his suspended sentence is up and he can work on somebodys gas without the chance of going to prison.
Now put simply, if you were to work on somebodys brakes and the car crashed, you are liable.
if you were to work on somebodys water pipes and it leaked and the house fell down, you are liable,
if you were to work on scaffolding and drop something on somebody's head, you are liable,
so why hasn't this guy got a harsher punishment.
he has attempted to murder somebody, he should spend at least 10 years in prison.
I bet if he pretended to be a police officer he would of got a harsher penalty.

The whole point is that the reason people employ a plumber is because they know what they are doing. this has seem to have been forgotten and instead the price is all that matters, these days, shame really as there will be more people like this and more lives put at risk unneccesarily

to be honest it could have been MUCH MUCH worse, and this should have been taken into account when sentence was given. The fact that he knowingly put peoples lives at risk proves that he should be punished for it, and not bloody community service, JAIL!!!

i dont think you can compare it to an accident, a gas fitter may accidently forget to leak detect a nipple after a tightness test for example, but he/she is qualified to do the work and it would be an accident he/she missed it.

this guy did not accidently remove the meter, he did not accidently forget to get a qualifed person to perform the work for him, the tennant was the only person who had an accident by ignition of the gas. Accidents are forgivable and we are all human, this person did not care about indangering the lives of others and should be taught a lesson.

Just grabbing me pitchfork and a burning firebrand, Sorry watertight I totaly disagree, firstly working with no public liability should in itself be a criminal offence, secondly he knew he was not Gas Safe therefore under no circumstances should he have touched any Gas end of. I notice that the plumber in question has now retired, well bully for him the fact that he has a nice little nest egg to be able to retire on, and I still maintain that if this was a Gas Safe registered engineer that did this they would be doing time

Yes I think I'd agree it probably should be an offence to work without insurance. But since it isn't, it doesn't change what the verdict should have been. And even if it were illegal I think the penalty for no insurance would be quite lenient and wouldn't involve imprisonment. And yes he knew wasn't gas safe and he would therefore have known he shouldn't touch gas. But is that evidence enough that he knew the risk he was putting people at? Which is where the difference between being a complete moron and a dangerous criminal lies. The reason you quite rightly say that had he been Gas Safe he may well have been jailed is that - had he been - it would have stood as proof that he DID know what he was doing and that despite his training and knowledge of the risks, he chose to be reckless.

a plumber of his age should be aware of the dangers of gas even if hes not gas safe

Should be yes. Very difficult to prove he was. If you're able to tie your shoelaces you're able to call yourself a plumber and swap taps and change WC syphons. How often do you need to move a meter to change taps? I suspect it was a one off. And the first time a buffoon had an opportunity to push the limits of his buffoonery. And like I said I agree he probably was aware to some extent. But I don't see any more reason to suspect that he was aware he was leaving people in mortal danger than to suspect he was a blithering idiot who thought what he was doing, though not legal, was fine - because, hey, he knows what he's doing.

There should be a minimum sentence for this and I believe that it should be the same as attempted murder as that is what he has done, attempted to murder these people, wether it was intentional or not, he has still done it.
at the very least it should be arson.

Whether it is intentional or not is the whole basis of the legal definition of the crime of murder. Attempted just means it wasn't successful. Manslaughter might be the best word to use since it, by definition need have no intent. And arson? Seriously? Did reading that article make you believe he took the job with the intention of starting a fire?

retired? I guess this is for 12 months untill his suspended sentence is up and he can work on somebodys gas without the chance of going to prison.

Even though my whole argument is based on only paying attention to what can be proved I would wager heavily that after this incident this man is in little danger of re-offending with regards to illegal gas work.

I
Now put simply, if you were to work on somebodys brakes and the car crashed, you are liable.
if you were to work on somebodys water pipes and it leaked and the house fell down, you are liable,
if you were to work on scaffolding and drop something on somebody's head, you are liable,
so why hasn't this guy got a harsher punishment.

Liable, yes. Guilty of, respectively, of murder, deliberate demolishment and murder..? No. Those are actually quite good examples of other things people might do because they are untrained, inexperienced, stupid or not paying attention. The world really isn't full of normal people attempting to kill other people through negligence.

i dont think you can compare it to an accident, a gas fitter may accidently forget to leak detect a nipple after a tightness test for example, but he/she is qualified to do the work and it would be an accident he/she missed it.

I personally don't think it was an accident in the strictest sense of the word. At some level he probably was aware that what he was doing contained a level of risk that he was not qualified to manage. We can't know what extent that was. But on the sliding scale from completely unaware, blissfully ignorant accident all the way over to total cognizance of all risks involved I'd hazard a guess we're closer to accident territory. Even if it was an accident based on astounding levels of stupidity.

I mean it is of course possible he just didn't care. It is possible he knew there was a decent chance everyone might die but that wasn't sufficient deterrant for him to pass up his ÂŁ125 tap change. The court's job is either to prove that or let him go.

It turns out that if you want a very good alibi for dangerous work in any field, try having no relevant qualifications.

I'd also like to mention that I personally suspect he is, if we could see into his soul, guilty of sufficient crimes against decency to warrant locking up. But it is important, more important than any death or explosion, that without sufficient proof - he is not.

I'd also like to mention I'm so fond of the occassional in depth debate that I'll often argue points I don't even believe in just for the sport.

they were both crazy, leaving a gas meter off without capping anything and the owner trying to dry the water up with an electric dryer knowing there is gas about..

sounds like things started setting a light before the explosion, must have been pretty crazy watching your arms set a light before being blown accross the room

I am confused, If he was guilty, then he was guilty, they can not give community service or a suspended sentence to somebody who was innocent, where has the "not enough evidence" come from?
he was sentenced, he admitted it, he was guilty.
the chances are that it was his first offence and the judge was leniant, nothing to do with intent.
Now from a sensible point of view, did he know that he was putting the tenant in danger, probably not.
did he know that he should be gas safe registered, yes he did.
So why was he touching it, because he thought it would be ok.
should he be jailed, yes IMO.
He knew he should not touch it, yet he still touched it.
However in the court of law, theoretically all he has done is lied, very minor offence.
The sentence should be 5 years for touching gas when not qualified. even if nothing happens.

Whether it is intentional or not is the whole basis of the legal definition of the crime of murder. Attempted just means it wasn't successful. Manslaughter might be the best word to use since it, by definition need have no intent. And arson? Seriously? Did reading that article make you believe he took the job with the intention of starting a fire?

Thank you for clearing up the law, I did not know that attempted meant unsuccessful, thank you so much.
And Arson, yes. Arson does not have to be somebody who uses matches/ lighter, throwing a *** on some old leaves that set a light can be arson.

I can not in anyway accept that this bloke can get away with leaving this bloke with scars all over his face and body, this is disgusting, the bloke who down this should be burnt alive in my opinion, but then I believe in capital punishment.

Even though my whole argument is based on only paying attention to what can be proved I would wager heavily that after this incident this man is in little danger of re-offending with regards to illegal gas work.

Really, you really believe that. I'm not so sure. Are people really that black and white?

Apparently, he told the customer he wasn't Gas safe reg. If the customer then said "That's ok, you carry on pal.......that'll be cheaper then won't it?" He is as guilty as the bloke that carried out the work he was unqualified/incompetent to do. Not saying he deserved to be blowed up but you play with feathers you're gonna get your arse tickled.

Ok well jase158 you won't be suprised to hear I've got arguments against most of which you've brought up but I can see it's best we agree to disagree, I've gassed on long enough and am in danger of hijacking the thread with my filibustering (and i am not registered with gas...)
I don't agree with capital punishment myself (let alone burning ....:lightbulb:) and am a bit of a nancy liberal I'm afraid. To be honest I've always had a bit of a problem with the idea of punishment itself, beyond where it might be used to reform or teach. As in punishment for "justice." But I can't defend that feeling because it doesn't make much sense. It just feels like a crossed-wire with me. I can't "get it" In an ideal world I'd rather the bad people just go somewhere else so we don't have to reduce ourselves to their level.

"you play with feathers you're gonna get your arse tickled." This is now my new favourite saying.

I am confused, If he was guilty, then he was guilty, they can not give community service or a suspended sentence to somebody who was innocent, where has the "not enough evidence" come from?
he was sentenced, he admitted it, he was guilty.
the chances are that it was his first offence and the judge was leniant, nothing to do with intent.
Now from a sensible point of view, did he know that he was putting the tenant in danger, probably not.
did he know that he should be gas safe registered, yes he did.
So why was he touching it, because he thought it would be ok.
should he be jailed, yes IMO.
He knew he should not touch it, yet he still touched it.
However in the court of law, theoretically all he has done is lied, very minor offence.
The sentence should be 5 years for touching gas when not qualified. even if nothing happens.

you can carry a knife, and even stab someone and get less than 5 years. Serious assault and GBH you can get less than 5 years, these crimes are much worse than the one that was commited by this cowboy. So I don't agree with the sentence, quite frankly I don't agree with the whole justice system, in America if you commit a murder you get life which is 30+ years without parole, over here you commit murder and you get 13 years without parole sometimes less.

TBH Watertight, Jase158 seems to be a bit of a wally if you read some of his earlier posts. One that immediately springs to mind is " if you put copper in a bucket of water, does it not rust??????" Proper made me LOL that one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to plumber unregistered in gas causes gas explosion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, What would cause an intermittent gas leak around a boiler? In the evenings there is a strong smell of gas coming from the boiler. I got a gas sniffer from Screwfix and it detects gas in the kitchen and squeals when near the boiler. A plumber inspected the boiler, in total they...
Replies
Views
Hi sorry im a newbie, pls help if u can. I had a new bathroom installed about a yr ago and since then when i flush the toilet the room stinks of sewer gas. Not only does the b/room stink it also smells in the kitchen too, which is directly below the toilet/b-room. It doesnt do it everytime...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Hi, would anyone like to hazard a guess at what's causing this problem on the ground floor of our house? As you can see, the bottom of both sides of the door frame are wet. The doorway is nowhere near any windows and is positioned pretty much in the centre of the house. Could this be water...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock