Search the forum,

Discuss pilot light not coming on, performa 24 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tommc

hi people, firstly thanks to all you guys who post advice and tips to help like guys like me out its greatly appreciated

now my problem, moved into my house 6 years ago it has a performa 24 thats about 7-8 years old, i had a dodgy plumber that was recomended to me, but he wasnt the best and ripped me off a bit.
the problem was that every 6 months or so the pilot light just wouldnt fire despite the boiler was sounding like it was about to, he came round charged me a fortune for all sorts of thermostats etc, but the problem remained so we joined BG homecare, they have been called out about 3 times for this and the 3rd time the guy who turned up told me i needed to keep the pressure topped up as it kept dropping and i told him it happened almost every day and needed topping up, so he said yeah just top it up every day and he also told me about a secret button that i wasnt allowed to know about thats would help the bolier fire back up (i have since found this button)

on monday i had BG round for an overdue service and guy asked about the pressure and i told him the story, he seems to think the 1st bloke should have known that the PRV had gone and requested it be fixed, he booked it in for the next day.

the 3rd guy came round, emptied the system, tried flogging me a magnabooster for £230 at the same time, but fixed the PRV and also done something to the pressure in the expansion tank(using a foot pump ?) all seemed well when he left but once again the following morning the pilot light again failed after a while and i needed to call him out again.

he then told me that the problem was an over heating safety that was probably being caused due to limescale and sludge in the HX and that the water wasnt able to pass through quick enough and that was tripping the overheat safety switch , and then told me the system needed powerflushed for £860 to clear the HX

i then spoke to my dads mate, a plumber for over 40 years, who told me just to take the HX off and clean it, so i took it off it didnt seem to be sludged at all compared to some i have seen on the net, there was a little rust colour so i cleaned it and descaled it anyway and put it back on, tured the stopcock on, filled the pressure using the filling loop to just over 1 bar, opened up the taps and bled the radiators to let any trapped air out, the boiler didnt fire up at all at first but did after a while, everything seemed fine, other than the boiler making a new funny grunt noise when switching the heating off, but again this morning the pilot didnt fire up and it has happened almost everyday since the PRV was changed rather than every 6 months, could someone please help me as im a bit stumpted as to what the problem is, but coming into the winter i would like to try sort it, without the £1000's that BG as looking at charging me

please any advice, ideas would really help thanks in advance people

Tommc ... Is your model performa High efficiency? Does it have a line of lights on the front that indicate temp rise? They made a few different models so clarifying your boiler would be of benefit! Neither as far as I know have a low pressure switch so pressure wouldn't be my first port of call regards the boiler not lighting! However identifying the model will better determine potential cause! Obviously it'd be better to get yourself someone out sooner rather than later as we're in for a cold snap by the looks of things this weekend!!! :)

:welcome: to the forum! :D

First thing, don't pay that much for a flush. Get on to bg again your paying for a service that your not getting.

Tommc ... Is your model performa High efficiency? Does it have a line of lights on the front that indicate temp rise? They made a few different models so clarifying your boiler would be of benefit! Neither as far as I know have a low pressure switch so pressure wouldn't be my first port of call regards the boiler not lighting! However identifying the model will better determine potential cause! Obviously it'd be better to get yourself someone out sooner rather than later as we're in for a cold snap by the looks of things this weekend!!! :)

:welcome: to the forum! :D

sorry diamondgas i didnt realise there where different models, it doesnt have eco HE on the front just potterton performa 24, i will try post a pic to see if that helps, and i really want to get it sorted before this cold snap really bites, i have had BG out about 5 or 6 times for the same problem over the last 2 years but since tuesday when it was fixed, its happening everyday, the only other thing we have done is change it to a timer so it comes on in the morning and evening, but im sure that shouldnt matter photo (1).jpg

First thing, don't pay that much for a flush. Get on to bg again your paying for a service that your not getting.

yeah i know mate i have spoken to a plumber of 40 years who reckons i should put the treatment in a rad for a few days, then take a rad off and flush through using the outside tap and waste pipe into a drain, he seems to think that would be just as good and all for about £60 and i do feel im paying for a service that im not getting from BG, the same problem for 2 years, dont know how many excess fees of £50, so i want to try sort it myself, and i like to know how to do these things just in case, but i cant find anyone who seems to know what the problem might be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to pilot light not coming on, performa 24 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock