Search the forum,

Discuss part L building control in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gaspastemania

Getting a bit fed up turning up at jobs to update systems etc to find out that previous plumbers have not fitted room stats , now i have done this in the past but under customers knowledge of not havinf that fitted or on my wall . Notedin MI'S and fair enough .But this i find is quite a common occurance and customer has never been infornmed on room stats soooooooo how do you go about dropping previous fitters in the muck so to speak ,,,,if you can at all ?
(to many plumbers in the game so time to remove the shocking ones)

in an ideal world you need to educate the customer so they know what the min requirements are and they can make sure thats what they get. Hard to tell people they need to spend more tho.

Just because it is a requirement if the custard refuses or cannot afford a upgrade. And all the contractor has been asked to do is a boiler swap. Then you cannot enforce that they have the upgrades

That was exactly what my local insp told me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its not that the customers i have come across lately are refusing they simply wasnt even told lol , i dont know maybe i'm being fussy .

Fed UP, try this.

I was asked to quote to move a 8 year old non condensing Suprima into a new extension, which included Planning and Building control involvement. I stated as the boiler move had to be Notified I could not move the boiler and a new boiler had to be installed.

The customer contacted the local Building Control office at the council, and was told by the local inspector that the boiler could be moved and did not have to be a condensing boiler!!

The gas safe register were then contacted by the building control inspector and it was agreed by them that it was unfair to expect a customer to have to have a new boiler after 8 years.

I walked away from the job shaking my head. What is the point of gas work notification if it can be deemed as unfair !!:banghead:

Just because it is a requirement if the custard refuses or cannot afford a upgrade. And all the contractor has been asked to do is a boiler swap. Then you cannot enforce that they have the upgrades

That was exactly what my local insp told me

that is spot on you just get the custard to sign a disclaimer:nono:

Getting a bit fed up turning up at jobs to update systems etc to find out that previous plumbers have not fitted room stats , now i have done this in the past but under customers knowledge of not havinf that fitted or on my wall . Notedin MI'S and fair enough .But this i find is quite a common occurance and customer has never been infornmed on room stats soooooooo how do you go about dropping previous fitters in the muck so to speak ,,,,if you can at all ?
(to many plumbers in the game so time to remove the shocking ones)
A good engineer etc will or should strongly advise on fitting best practice controls regardless of extra cost. Some of this extra cost will be offset in years to come by having a properly set up, efficient system. But...at the end of the day you cannot force them to listen to your professional advice. Just note down that energy controls advise has been declined.

Fed UP, try this.

I was asked to quote to move a 8 year old non condensing Suprima into a new extension, which included Planning and Building control involvement. I stated as the boiler move had to be Notified I could not move the boiler and a new boiler had to be installed.

The customer contacted the local Building Control office at the council, and was told by the local inspector that the boiler could be moved and did not have to be a condensing boiler!!

The gas safe register were then contacted by the building control inspector and it was agreed by them that it was unfair to expect a customer to have to have a new boiler after 8 years.

I walked away from the job shaking my head. What is the point of gas work notification if it can be deemed as unfair !!:banghead:
A boiler that is already registered at the property can be moved to different location without issue. You are not fitting and registering a new appliance, so it does not have to comply with latest guidelines. An 8 year old Suprima although not the best of boilers still has a few years left in it.

"A boiler that is already registered at the property can be moved to different location without issue. You are not fitting and registering a new appliance, so it does not have to comply with latest guidelines. An 8 year old Suprima although not the best of boilers still has a few years left in it."

Reading this months Gas Engineer there is an article on Building Regs advising "What needs to be reported"

Installation/ Replacement / Commissioning of : heating and hot water boilers ==== Reportable.

I cant see the difference between the boiler being new or old.

I would have moved the boiler and notified the installation, however would be unable to complete the online boiler details as it was non condensing.

Kev.

The boiler is already registered/commissioned for that property right! What if the custard wanted her boiler moved 2 meters to another wall in kitchen to facilitate her fancy new kitchen? You install and re-commission as per the regs. By your reckoning you need to register the boiler again??

I think that you are supposed to register it again if you move and commission it even within the same address.

i can't look it up now but I think it is around page 15 or so here about commissioninf fixed building services.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADL1B_2010.pdf

It used to be that you could move a b rated boiler WITHIN the same address under 2006 building regs but I don't know if that changed under the new 2010 regs.

Reading this months Gas Engineer there is an article on Building Regs advising "What needs to be reported"

Installation/ Replacement / Commissioning of : heating and hot water boilers ==== Reportable.

Without starting a row, I can only apply my actions from what I read, not an opinion from somebody who has opinions which may not hold up in court.

I started with BGas in 1986, Im not a newbie wet behind the ear, what people say and what the officials behind them say in court is another matter.

Kev.

I went on a honeywell training day recently and they said the customer can get the installer to return and bring it up to part l free of charge if they didn't get them to sign a disclaimer

I went on a honeywell training day recently and they said the customer can get the installer to return and bring it up to part l free of charge if they didn't get them to sign a disclaimer

That is very unlikely to happen if all they have is some mobile number for a guy with a white van. People pay their money and generally get the service they deserve for the cost.
How many times have you gone to a job and had the cust say something like i have a budget of £800.........Good luck.....see ya! (putting it politely!)

That is very unlikely to happen if all they have is some mobile number for a guy with a white van. People pay their money and generally get the service they deserve for the cost.
How many times have you gone to a job and had the cust say something like i have a budget of £800.........Good luck.....see ya! (putting it politely!)

some pay good money though and think they are getting a proper job, if the guy registered the boiler couldnt they trace him that way?

How many have you gone to without a log book filled in? Probably +40 - 50% of what i see.
I really have little if any sympathy for most customers but there are always exceptions. I really hate know the price of everything value of nothing people usually mid 20's to 40 odds. The internet has a lot to answer for.

I do however have a soft spot for old people and as such generally i try to avoid them if i can. They are bad for my business but it is self inflicted (it is really a virtue instilled by my parents):)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to part L building control in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock