Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss One pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybo_1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Hi,

Soon I'm going to be working on an extension where the existing heating is a one pipe system. Im
having to add 4 new radiators. Would you continue the one pipe or take two tees off and make the new pipework into the more conventional flow and returns?

Alternatively I can run the new pipework back to the airing cupboard and tee in to the heating flow and return although it's a hell of a lot more work in a job which is on quite a tight plumbing budget

Cheers
Ryan

I wouldn't worry to much about the budget, it'll be you that gets the call back when they don't work properly.
We'v done a job where we'v moved rads on a one pipe and added one and they were ok but adding 4 of a new branch when its not within the loop or then running new flow and returns which would work but then you may find they rob a lot of the heat of the existing rads.

I would recommend they have a new system and tell them that adding 4 new rads won't work, sometimes you just have to cover yourself.

Or you take a new one pipe from F&R and slap a gate valve on it at one end to balance it down?

But the best scinario is a re pipe

Rads on one pipe will be clogged right up so outside with hose and a mallet!

Best to re pipe, but if you don't, next option would be to take pipework back to boiler. Or main heating flow and return. Not sure you will find both in a cylinder cupboard on a one pipe!

Hi,

Soon I'm going to be working on an extension where the existing heating is a one pipe system. Im
having to add 4 new radiators. Would you continue the one pipe or take two tees off and make the new pipework into the more conventional flow and returns?

Alternatively I can run the new pipework back to the airing cupboard and tee in to the heating flow and return although it's a hell of a lot more work in a job which is on quite a tight plumbing budget

Cheers
Ryan
one pipe never worked rip it out and re-pipe

So most schools and old offices are practice? Domestic one pipe just needs te right wizzard.

Nothing wrong with a good old one pipe system, even with a new boiler fitted. Just wont condense to expectations. Problems come when you try to modify it or extend.I would suggest you recommend a repipe or you wont be responsible.

I put hundreds of one pipes in before GSR or Corgi, even before North Sea Gas came ashore, I never walked away from a system that didn't work, but as everyone has said
do not mix and match, it won't work, or best you will spend a lot of time trying to get it to work and in the end you will fail.

Be very careful. It may well be fine but there's a chance that the system may not work fully. It's not like it will stop working altogether afterwards as it will always still work to a degree with careful balancing and provided you pipe correctly for a 1 pipe system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to One pipe system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock