Discuss Oil Smell from Warmflow, Whitebird 70/90 Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a nice looking piece of kit and I am sure it isn't cheap!
I can't read German and just wondering the details of that.
It is only domestic oil work mainly for me and I use Coopers type paper element oil filters nowadays normally.
The firevalves are usually Teddington KBB remote firevalves.
We also use a special paint for tank rooms against oil so oil cannot penetrate through the tank ground and will stay inside the tank. It will not harm the environment neither the manholes. Etc. Do you use things like that too ?
Heizölstopp Farbe für Tankräume, wasserbasierend, mit TÜV Zertifikat, grau u. rotbraun Farbenhaus Metzler

We also used to use cat litter when working with oil so in case you spilled a little oil it will soak the oil and won't go into the ground.

Oil burners — Weishaupt

The Mercedes in Berlin for installing an oil burner, top range boiler. An absolute beast

Cat Litter I have bought and used before. I thought I was the only person who had the idea! :smile:
Special paint to seal against oil, great job, but I never have needed it.

Cat Litter I have bought and used before. I thought I was the only person who had the idea! :smile:
Special paint to seal against oil, great job, but I never have needed it.
You see Gary, you aren't alone with the cat litter idea :) it may sound silly but works great :)
The paint it great, I remember when we had services to do we had to make sure that the tank room is fully painted and not cracked/crumbled. Basically, we painted the walls 1m above the floor, and then the whole floor, so nothing will go into the ground.

IMG_1470.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't expect my original post to generate a discussion on cat litter and boiler room paint!
Some of you asked me to report on the resolution of the problem.
The engineer came today, the boiler had been off for 5 hours and when he felt around the pump casing he got some oil on his finger. Taking note of your advice I asked if it was an idea to replace the pump but he thought not. He removed the pump and burner assembly and checked the tightness of all the nuts. There was no further leaks during the 30 mins or so he was here so he said he couldn't really understand where the smell was coming from. He suggested we see if the smell clears in the next few days. I am no heating engineer but I did work for over 40 years in engineering companies and based on my experience he hasn't done enough to fix the problem. The smell has been there for sometime getting gradually worse. I am well aware how little oil is needed to make the smell and I suspect when the boiler is running the very small weep of oil evaporates quickly. You will recall (my original post) that after a two week holiday the flexible hose was wet with oil; I now believe this was tracking down from the oil pump; it wasn't much but the smell was dreadful. Next week I shall be looking for a new engineer; any suggestions for North Shropshire?
Thanks for all the suggestions, Peter

Thinking that is the right move Peter, maybe a new post "Oil boiler engineer wanted, North Shropshire" as this thread maybe overlooked now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil Smell from Warmflow, Whitebird 70/90 Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock