Currently reading:
NVQ vs Technical Cert

Discuss NVQ vs Technical Cert in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaZza84

Could someone pelase advise me of the differences between doing a plumbing course Technical cert vs an NVQ, would I be able to start working with a plumber as a plumbers mate with the Level 2 Technical certificate?

Also once I have completed this would I be able to go to do NVQ level 3 or would I have to do tech cert level 3 or are they the same thing just given a different name by different colleges.

no they are not the same.
TC2 is all the college stuff, NVQ is work stuff in addition to TC2, therefore you need all the work from the TC2 anyway to gain an NVQ
smae as with L3

Could someone pelase advise me of the differences between doing a plumbing course Technical cert vs an NVQ, would I be able to start working with a plumber as a plumbers mate with the Level 2 Technical certificate?

Also once I have completed this would I be able to go to do NVQ level 3 or would I have to do tech cert level 3 or are they the same thing just given a different name by different colleges.

You don't actually need any quals to be a plumber just competent, you only need quals for gas and you are allowed to do that on your own place without quals.

Good luck

you do actually need qualifications to be called a plumber, if u dont have them u can attempt plumbing work but you are in no way a plumber

Infact, by law, you need to at least have a Water regs ticket to work on water systems, but it is not enforced.

Tech Cert = College Training to be a Plumber

NVQ = Onsite work portfolio to prove you're a Plumber

you do actually need qualifications to be called a plumber, if u dont have them u can attempt plumbing work but you are in no way a plumber

Nonsense

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no definition in law which states you must have qualifications to call yourself a plumber, therefore you can claim you are a plumber without such.

15 yrs

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no definition in law which states you must have qualifications to call yourself a plumber, therefore you can claim you are a plumber without such.

15 yrs
and how would you be deemed competent without at least nvq 2

and how would you be deemed competent without at least nvq 2

Competence can and is often proved without any formal qualification It is simply easier with the bit of paper, I know of several "plumbers" who are definitely not competent with the certs!

If you have been in the industry for 20 years you should know certificates mean nothing in the real world when compared to experience.

Competence can and is often proved without any formal qualification It is simply easier with the bit of paper, I know of several "plumbers" who are definitely not competent with the certs!

If you have been in the industry for 20 years you should know certificates mean nothing in the real world when compared to experience.

well i got experience while doing my certificates and you didnt answer my qustion, without being assesed how can you be deemed competent, do you wake up one morning and say to yourself you are competent.

Reading through your posts you have already lied in this thread you say you have 15 years experience but your first post suggests otherwise. diy does not make a plumber and it is quite offensive to people who do the hard work to get all their papers and are still training all the time spending money on acs, uvhs gas safe ect. The changes that are being brought in will really shake up the trade, nvq 2 will be the minimum needed to work as a plumber on site and eventualy we will all be liscened which 5 years ago i would have been against but reading message boards and through personal experience i believe this is the only measure to save the trade.

Infact, by law, you need to at least have a Water regs ticket to work on water systems, but it is not enforced.

Tech Cert = College Training to be a Plumber

NVQ = Onsite work portfolio to prove you're a Plumber

you dont need your Water regs to work on water systems, only specific types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to NVQ vs Technical Cert in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock