Discuss Not paying for a job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
As for the solicitor, I could but it's all additional cost on my side to do that. Ideally he responds accepting the situation, and the agreement is made. I need to tread carefully after 10 days, but checking with the CAB it's best to make an agreement outside of solicitors.

It may be peace of mind for you to have your agreement checked over by a solicitor.

You cannot make an agreement with someone, if that agreement is outside the realms of the Law.
If the Plumber has had your agreement check over by a solicitor, and his solicitor deems it to be outside the Law, you could end up in deep and expensive trouble.

The Law doesn't care about your situation - it only cares about the Law.
If you breach the Law - then the Law will come after you.

I was told that by an ex-judge whom I was working for.

You already have an agreement/contract with the original fitter. What you are seeking is to conclude that agreement by "mutual consent". Having set on record the defects all future correspondence towards settlement should be headed, "WITHOUT PREJUDICE". Be aware that an offer made, without prejudice, if accepted becomes binding.

As there has been no response and no communication to date, I doubt I will get anything in writing accepting the terms. This is why I stated

"We will give you 10 working days from the date of this letter to dispute this offer. Should we not received a formal response to our letters we will take this that you have accepted this offer and the matter will not be taken any further."

Which I'm hoping allows us to finally get this mess sorted! Otherwise with no responses it could drag on for months worth of uncertainty.

What it would come down to is who breached contract first, you for withholding payment or the plumber for not fulfilling the work he was contracted to do. Docs titled Without Prejudice cannot be used as evidence in legal proceedings, nothing to do with contract law. See http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Without+Prejudice. What you are looking at is a Tort. See http://dictionary.law.com/Default.aspx?selected=2137

You have given your contractor 10 days to reply. Hopefully you worded the letter in such a way that failure to reply within the period would signal agreement? Hopefully you sent it recorded delivery? And you discharged his services in writing stating the reasons? I agree with Oz, spend £100 max and get a lawyer to give it the once over.

It wasn't sent recorded as his house is 5 minutes walk from mine, so was hand delivered.
Noted about lawyer once over.
It is worded that if there is no response that it would signal acceptance to the offer, and the matter is finalized.

I do find it strange that after the threat of taking me to small claims court, I have heard no more from him.

Unfortunately You have no physical proof that he has received it only your word that it was put through the door. I am not at all surprised at his lack of response. We have had court cases where the debtor has not turned up to defend his case. What I would do is wait out the 10 days, then on day 11 send him a letter, recorded delivery, stating that in accordance with your offer dated xx copy included, his lack of response means that he accepts your offer in Full and Final Settlement, and you will now proceed to engage contractors to carry out rectification.
My guess is that he is glad to was his hands of it. In my opinion he's got off lightly as similar cases have actually bankrupted self employed trades with no liability insurance. I take it he had no insurance? If he had you could have claimed the job plus damages.
Next time make sure you get trades with insurance and if in doubt there is always https://www.suffolk.gov.uk/communit...-consumers/what-is-the-suffolk-trader-scheme/

Unfortunately You have no physical proof that he has received it only your word that it was put through the door. I am not at all surprised at his lack of response. We have had court cases where the debtor has not turned up to defend his case. What I would do is wait out the 10 days, then on day 11 send him a letter, recorded delivery, stating that in accordance with your offer dated xx copy included, his lack of response means that he accepts your offer in Full and Final Settlement, and you will now proceed to engage contractors to carry out rectification.
My guess is that he is glad to was his hands of it. In my opinion he's got off lightly as similar cases have actually bankrupted self employed trades with no liability insurance. I take it he had no insurance? If he had you could have claimed the job plus damages.
Next time make sure you get trades with insurance and if in doubt there is always https://www.suffolk.gov.uk/communit...-consumers/what-is-the-suffolk-trader-scheme/

Much appreciated, I will follow up as you suggested with Recorded delivery, makes sense.
As for insurance, I've not seen anything, he's not responded at the request, I would assume not.

Sending first class post with proof of posting will suffice. Court will assume letter delivered in normal postal times, and signature not required.
This is not Tort it is contract law. Without prejudice is a device by which parties can negotiate a settlement without compromising their position should the case go to court. For example:- an offer of £*** without prejudice, will be ignored, whereas the same offer in open correspondence could be seen as an admission.

Not what you originally said, but never mind. A Tort is the action by which you claim damages in a civil action. The damage may be physical, mental or financial, to person or property. Typically recompense for the damage done to this persons property by this tradesmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Not paying for a job in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My plumber fitted a shower, 2 of the walls are glass panels and one is a tile board (wedi board). He joint the wedi board pieces (3 pieces) close...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Hi Just had a new bathroom installed with a toilet bowl that reaches the back wall. Its has a bottom entry cold feed to the cistern. The fitter...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock