Search the forum,

Discuss New Home Struggle - Vaillant Ecotec + Drayton Digistat in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

Recently moved into a new rental place, struggling with the heating equipment. I'm not a plumber or heating expert, did the troubleshoot I could think of with no success so seeking help from more knowledgeable people here.

Equipment: Vaillant EcoTec Pro 24 boiler plus Drayton Digistat+ thermostat.
Issue: the Digistat doesn't fire the boiler even with the digistat light on 'on'.

Troubleshooting:
  • recommissioned the digistat with the RF panel. Works okay as the temp is displayed, once it's increased above ambient the fire command goes to the receiver which turns the green light on, can't see any issues there.
  • checked that the boiler fires & heats the radiators fine when the timer handle on the boiler is set on 'on' (basically bypassing the whole thermostat).
  • unlinked the digistat from the RF panel & tried the override button 2 before linking - green light comes on but boiler doesn't fire. There is a click sound once the digistat green light comes on.
  • tried putting the boiler timer on all modes & doing the same. Off - doesn't fire, timer - doesn't fire, on - boiler heats the radiators indefinitely.
  • tried restarting the whole system at the fuse, same results.

A link to some photos to show the situation - View: https://*********/a/8N7m08B

Is there anything else I should check or should I go to the landlord informing that the thermostat is not communicating with the boiler?

Any help or advice is very much appreciated!

No, just took the photo when I was trying that mode. Otherwise like stated - " Off - doesn't fire, timer - doesn't fire, on - boiler heats the radiators indefinitely."

So if you set to on on the switch (constant), then turn the thermostat down, what happens? The digistat should be controlling the timed on and off periods.

Last edited by a moderator:
if you want the timer you need to set it all the prongs are out I don't know which way round but it could be off or on look online for instructions

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJMVn-yGFmc

So if you set to on on the switch (constant), then turn the thermostat down, what happens? The digistat should be controlling the timed on and off periods.

Thanks for the tips! I've now tried the below.

• Boiler heating switched to ON then Digistat temp increased to cause the green light to be on too. Then decreased the Digistat temp, green light went off - boiler still on & heating ~2 minutes later.
  • Boiler powered off at the button, timer set to ON. Turn Digistat green light to on, power up the boiler .. and the rest goes exactly as above, keeps heating no matter what the Digistat light shows.
  • Boiler set to ON, Digistat green light is off. Boiler starts & continues heating no matter what I adjust on the Digistat.

Using the boiler timer (peg legs):
  • Digistat light set to off, boiler still starts heating when it reaches the time on the pegs. Turn the Digistat down - boiler continues heating.
  • Digistat light set to on, boiler starts heating when it hits the time. Turn the Digistat down - boiler continues heating.

Seems there's just no communication between the Digistat & the boiler in any option I try.

Is the heating temp turned up on the boiler?
(The radiator symbol)

Yeah, by itself the boiler heats okay. Radiator temp is at 60, the radiator & burner icons come up once it starts and the radiators heat up okay. But all that coming from the boiler itself, not the Digistat.

If there’s no comms between digistat and boiler there could be a link in place at 24v side - which would require a gas safe registered engineer as the cover forms part of the combustion circuit.

Yeah, seems to be the case. By now I've tried all the possible configurations between the two and it's always the same - the boiler works okay in itself and the Digistat seems to do so to according to the lights, but they never communicate at all.

Have the same problem in a property I have recently moved into. Did you find a solution?

If there’s no comms between digistat and boiler there could be a link in place at 24v side - which would require a gas safe registered engineer as the cover forms part of the combustion circuit.

Yeah, seems to be the case. By now I've tried all the possible configurations between the two and it's always the same - the boiler works okay in itself and the Digistat seems to do so to according to the lights, but they never communicate at all.

Reply to New Home Struggle - Vaillant Ecotec + Drayton Digistat in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock