Discuss New Central heating but problems, Please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.

hopefully someone can help me here.

I have a recently had a new gas central heating system consisting of 7 rads and a Worchester 36cdi compact located in the lofty controlled by the wave thermostat.

I used to have electric storage rads and the electric controlled heating with were on tanks.
after install i have a drop in hot water pressure. if the cold is on then the hot drops and even running the bath takes forever.

any ideas?
i want to make sure i have all my facts straight before speaking to the plumber who installed as he did come arounf measureing pressure and said it was about average on the set up up i requested.
the main in pressure was 3 bar and the flow was 14l/m with the hot being 10l/m.
thanks for your help in advance

how you getting on dale?

Have successfully applied accumulator to system running only 8 lpm, to function withMegaflow. Look after other systems with this setup, working fine. About to install another accumulator system boosting from 22 lpm to 45 lpm at peak. I think for a lot it’s the unknown and sizing and adequate pressure is prerequisite. Consult accumulator manufacturer if in doubt. Otherwise the only other options for you is break tank with booster pump at low level or storage gravity fed at high level. There is no cheap and easy way to overcome this.

Have successfully applied accumulator to system running only 8 lpm, to function withMegaflow. Look after other systems with this setup, working fine. About to install another accumulator system boosting from 22 lpm to 45 lpm at peak. I think for a lot it’s the unknown and sizing and adequate pressure is prerequisite. Consult accumulator manufacturer if in doubt. Otherwise the only other options for you is break tank with booster pump at low level or storage gravity fed at high level. There is no cheap and easy way to overcome this.

Your still only going to get 10 minutes with a 300l accumulator with two outlets open at 14lpm

And home boost can only do 12lpm which is what you have now

Why are people on here tell me it will work and 2 different plumbers who came round told me it will work then?
We are not right all the time. The advice we give is based on our own knowledge base. In this trade what works for one property does not necessarily work in another. I for instance try to offer the best advice I can to a reasonable cost to the customer. You may fit an accumulator and you will be no better off at all. But I for one would like to know the outcome if you do manage to fix your issue.

We are not right all the time. The advice we give is based on our own knowledge base. In this trade what works for one property does not necessarily work in another. I for instance try to offer the best advice I can to a reasonable cost to the customer. You may fit an accumulator and you will be no better off at all. But I for one would like to know the outcome if you do manage to fix your issue.
My above post was supposed to say may be no better off at all.

I have skim read this thread with there being 70+ posts so forgive me if I repeat anything that has been said.

Your Boiler will give 13 litres per min @ a 40 deg rise +/- 15%.

If you are testing the mains cold water flow rate at a tap, that does not mean the flow rate at the entry point on the Boiler will be the same. The standing pressure would be similar of course, (depending on how high the appliance is) but not the flow rate.

You will lose flow rate due to frictional resistances in the pipe work from the mains entry point in your property to the appliance. This may only be minimal.

I would ask the installer to test the flow rate beneath the Boiler and see what it is there. Then you can address whether the issue is a lack of flow or a problem with the Boiler itself.

There is a flow regulator inside these (erp version) and there is a strainer in the inlet.

If you want to run two taps you will be sharing the hot water from the boiler between them. There is nothing you can do about that with this Boiler.

Did you seek advice and discuss your requirements with Heating Engineers prior to deciding on a combi?
Unfortunately it does sound as though you have the wrong system for you. Even if the Boiler was delivering 13 lpm at 40 deg rise, it would still be unsuitable for you by the sound of it.

Last edited:
I have always said if you have the required supply and room for an unvented cylinder, always install a cylinder. Combis are best for small properties with only one bathroom unless you can afford to go big kW and even then a cylinder will perform better in most circumstances. unfortunately OP doesn't currently have sufficient incoming mains flow and pressure to make an unvented cylinder work properly.

A 300 litre cylinder and an accumulator same size might do the job if there is enough pressure to charge the accumulator acceptably.

I have always said if you have the required supply and room for an unvented cylinder, always install a cylinder. Combis are best for small properties with only one bathroom unless you can afford to go big kW and even then a cylinder will perform better in most circumstances. unfortunately OP doesn't currently have sufficient incoming mains flow and pressure to make an unvented cylinder work properly.

A 300 litre cylinder and an accumulator same size might do the job if there is enough pressure to charge the accumulator acceptably.
But I am sure that Dale Sanders is on about pitting the accumulator onto there existing combi.

Yes so what I have been advised by the engineer who installed the system is if I want to increase flow I would need to add an accumulator, he is suggesting that i get a 240l mainsboost vessel with 22mm upstream system. I am being quoted £760.

Yes so what I have been advised by the engineer who installed the system is if I want to increase flow I would need to add an accumulator, he is suggesting that i get a 240l mainsboost vessel with 22mm upstream system. I am being quoted £760.

Your Boiler will only give you 13 lpm at a 40 degree rise plus or minus 15%.

It does not matter what you connect it to, it will only give that.

If you think it is worth the money for the extra 3 lpm, that’s your choice of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Central heating but problems, Please help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back