• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today!

Discuss New build UFH help and advice in the Water Underfloor Heating Installations area at PlumbersForums.net

William Cartwright

Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum, I have recently moved into a new build house with underfloor heating installed throughout the ground floor, 4 zones, kitchen (tiled),lounge (carpet), hallway (tiled), mancave/front room (carpet). It’s an Emmeti system with manual thermostats in each zone.

I turned it on for the first time yesterday as I was bored and it was slightly cooler, I gather to get the best out the system should be on 24/7 when it’s on in anger.
I noticed the carpeted rooms took longer to feel any difference, I appreciate the installer wouldn’t of known I would have this floor covering as I had it fitted after purchasing. I was just wondering what ideal temperature differntial I should be looking at for the flow and return temperatures, I don’t think it’s been balanced properly as all flow rates look to be set the same. I’m assuming if a play with the flow rate I can get the temperature differentials across the flow and return the same for all zones.
I have just been looking at salus auto balancing actuators, are these a worthwhile upgrade, looks relatively simple to install.

Thanks for any help and advice.

rpm

Plumber
Reaction score
Will, I`m not being rude but ufh with carpet in St Google brought up answers from ufh manufactures. It is worth a read.

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
I would stick to the manual balance

If you phone emmeti they might have the drawings still on file with the correct loop lengths and balancing values

rpm

Plumber
Reaction score
I don’t even know what your about. Not trying to be rude
No worries.
Put "ufh with carpet" in to whichever search engine you use, using google there was around 5 ufh manufactures replies talking about the tog value of the carpet and how that effects the heat in the room.

OP
W

William Cartwright

Reaction score
Yes sorry, I’ve followed this advice when i had carpet fitted, low tog underlay, and not a combined tog of anymore than 2.5. But when I had the system running yesterday all the flow rates were set pretty much the same, I don’t know, this might be correct. But I didn’t know if there was a standard way of balancing the system by getting the difference between the flow and return temperatures all the same.

OP
W

William Cartwright

Reaction score
Normally around 10 Degrees difference on the main flow and return into the manifold
So if I get no where with emetti If i play with the flow rates and aim for this, I won’t go far wrong !

One other thing is some of the flowmeters have air in and some don’t, is this normal.

ShaunCorbs

S. Mod
Plumber
GSR
Reaction score
Emmeti should be able to guid you through the balancing task as really ufh goes off loop length and floor type

As for the air depends how much you can't hear any in the loops can you ?

OP
W

William Cartwright

Reaction score
No can’t hear anything going through the pump or anything.

You think emmeti will have all the details ?

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Plumb Advice

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers - Plumbers Advice

Power Shower Booster for Power Showers - Plumbing Advice

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat - Plumbing Advice

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies - Plumbers Installation Advice

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers - Advice for Plumbers

Do you have a DAB radio for work?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.