Discuss Mystery of the leaking toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

If this isn't fixed yet, try getting a couple of bottles of different coloured food dye. Put one colour in the cistern, another into the water in the pan. Leave some white kitchen paper where the puddle forms and wait...

This should narrow down your search area a bit.

Note added later: I've had great success using dyes for tracing the source of difficult leaks but keep in mind that they may stain some types of finish. So, if the bathroom floor has been done with in Carrarra marble tiles at a gazillion quid a square meter you probably don't want to use this method without thinking about how to protect the finish. On the other hand, a leaky bog is a problem that has to be fixed somehow.

Last edited:
It can't be the toilet pan then, it's got to be further back towards the wall and running under the tiles or down a grout line to the left (from the back of the pan.)
When it has leaked - all pipe work leading to the toilet cistern and waste are dry and if it’s comming from under tiles would I not have a wet patch on the ceiling below?
Only thing I think of doing is taking the toilet completely out and see if it leaks from
Somewhere else ?

If this isn't fixed yet, try getting a couple of bottles of different coloured food dye. Put one colour in the cistern, another into the water in the pan. Leave some white kitchen paper where the puddle forms and wait...

This should narrow down your search area a bit.

Note added later: I've had great success using dyes for tracing the source of difficult leaks but keep in mind that they may stain some types of finish. So, if the bathroom floor has been done with in Carrarra marble tiles at a gazillion quid a square meter you probably don't want to use this method without thinking about how to protect the finish. On the other hand, a leaky bog is a problem that has to be fixed somehow.
Thanks for the reply we are worried about damaging the tiles like you said but may end up having to do this

Why not remove the toilet for a couple of days and just rule out water coming up through tiles

This is probably your best next step.

If I've understood correctly, the leak happens at night and not when you're around/using the toilet? Using two different coloured dyes as recommended by @Chuck is a great idea, but you're concerned about staining your tiles.

You could try this:

cover floor surrounding toilet with kitchen towel (up to a couple of feet distance from it), cover where the pan connects to the soil stack with kitchen towel, place kitchen towel where the pan & cistern join, surround the pipe that supplies water to the cistern with kitchen towel.

Then the "fun" bit starts, set yourself a timer to go off every 15min and each time it goes off inspect the kitchen towel without disturbing it, until there's an initial trace of water.

Its time consuming and a lot more hassle than using dyes but won't damage your tiles. It will also show you whether the water is coming from somewhere else, hence surrounding a wide area around the toilet. Once you've narrowed down the location the water is coming from report back and we'll see what we can do.

Reply to Mystery of the leaking toilet in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock