Search the forum,

Discuss Mixer taps and check valves in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,
I have a few mixer taps to install in bathrooms and kitchen. The kitchen tap also has a wondering spray arm capability. On researching something else, i stumbled across people saying that a check valve should be placed on the cold mains feed. How can I tell if the mixer taps/spray arm mix the water in the body of the taps or at the spout as I guess this would determine whether a check valve is potentially needed? This is part of a direct cylinder setup.

You can generally tell a tap that mixes at the spout outlet because there is a co-axial piped spout, the hot coming from the pipe in the middle and the cold from outside that. If you take the spout off you will see it has separate waterways for H & C and multiple O-rings for the seals.
If you are talking about a kitchen tap with a hand held spray on a hose, all the ones I've come across have a single hose that carries the mixed H & C, the mix taking place immediately after the taps, so they require the check valve.

You can generally tell a tap that mixes at the spout outlet because there is a co-axial piped spout, the hot coming from the pipe in the middle and the cold from outside that. If you take the spout off you will see it has separate waterways for H & C and multiple O-rings for the seals.
If you are talking about a kitchen tap with a hand held spray on a hose, all the ones I've come across have a single hose that carries the mixed H & C, the mix taking place immediately after the taps, so they require the check valve.

Hello Basher,
Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.
Is there such a thing as a flat faced isolation valve with a built in check valve.
The problem I can see introducing a check valve on the cold feed is the resulting end of the NRCV will have the sharp edge when connecting to my flexi tap connectors. Is there a resolution to this?

Yes, there are isolation valves with built-in check valves.
Regarding your concern about the sharp edge at the end of the non-return check valve (NRCV) when connecting to flexi-tap connectors, what you can do is :
1. Ensure that you are using flexible tap connectors that are compatible with combination valves or have a design that accommodates the check valve.
2. You can install additional settings or adapters to create a smooth transition.
3. Consult with a professional plumber.

Yes, there are isolation valves with built-in check valves.
Regarding your concern about the sharp edge at the end of the non-return check valve (NRCV) when connecting to flexi-tap connectors, what you can do is :
1. Ensure that you are using flexible tap connectors that are compatible with combination valves or have a design that accommodates the check valve.
2. You can install additional settings or adapters to create a smooth transition.
3. Consult with a professional plumber.
Thankyou. I think I will go with option (2) and introduce a straight through compression brass coupler adapter. I assume a single check valve is sufficient for mixer taps.
As a side note would you be able to recommend a all in one isolation/check valve?

Is there such a thing as a flat faced isolation valve with a built in check valve.
The problem I can see introducing a check valve on the cold feed is the resulting end of the NRCV will have the sharp edge when connecting to my flexi tap connectors. Is there a resolution to this?
I know the problem. I've ended up using a flat faced isolation valve after a separate check valve, rather than an all-in-one.
I had a quick Google and I can't see any check valves, with or without isolation, with a flat face, apart from this (which might not be specifically for potable water!)

I know the problem. I've ended up using a flat faced isolation valve after a separate check valve, rather than an all-in-one.
I had a quick Google and I can't see any check valves, with or without isolation, with a flat face, apart from this (which might not be specifically for potable water!)
Thanks for having a google.
I think I’ll do something similar and take your advice. Perhaps keep the check valve after the isolation valve. If I can possibly flatten/file the check valve end. Lots of food for thought.
Thanks.

Reply to Mixer taps and check valves in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock