Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Metres bypass help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

gassafe

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Okay, my fault, but I'm fitting a combi boiler in a renovation property & noticed today the new owners have a pre payment card meter! ... No card!!!

Is there a way to get it to give me gas for my commissioning etc? Or can I buy a pre payment card?

An alternative, can I make a meter bypass for this purpose? I see them on eBay, but will a regular merchant hold bits to make such a connector!

Its all temporary just so I can test & tightness etc, the customer has contacted gas supplier for new meter, but that could take weeks!

thanks for any advice!

Have had similar before and we had to wait for a replacement key for meter. I must say i dont know about the bypass dosnt sound very legal to me and can you commission with out gas rating? I would look at getting some credit sorted some how,or maybe a call to transco for replacement meter? Akward one i admit

Have had similar before and we had to wait for a replacement key for meter. I must say i dont know about the bypass dosnt sound very legal to me and can you commission with out gas rating? I would look at getting some credit sorted some how,or maybe a call to transco for replacement meter? Akward one i admit

Ahh, two threads... My mistake :(

I know I will have to re attend to commission etc, its just something to get it going!

Can't be legal to install a meter bypass. I think those bypass's also bypass the regulator too. Very dodgey!

Sorry mate, can't give advice like that on here. Sure you'll understand. You can always try a PM to one of the gas boys if you are desperate.

No it fit in place of the meter! Not bypass the regulator... I will just wait till a new meter is fitted!

thought this forum was for the guys who should know about things from others?

buy one from here, charge it to the job!!.
GAS METERS - ELECTRONIC & TURBINE

dont think theres a law on gas for commissioning? when you have finished take it off, cap the supply then charge a call back to re-commission. or just wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your that desperate, use your own house meter.

You'll be paying for that gas anyway, right?

Should be able to get a replacement card from any pay point shop?!

you would think that we could all get an access account key with some credit on?
think these are registered to the addy and gas meter?

cant really commission correctly without the meter can you? gas rate? meter pressure drop? best solution is to get the gas on tbh. a bypass would aid you in testing while your there but you could not leave it in position and you cant leave an uncommissioned appliance connected to the supply.

a can of worm.

ps. bes is the best place to get the fittings to make a bypass ;) if you wanted to make on for art reasons!

Last edited:
Their is alot of dodgy things that unregistered installers get away with but they would prob bang you up in the blink of an eye for this! Or it could just be me being miserable lol

Thanks for the help guys, I don't have a gas meter at home or I would take it!

Never met a prepayment meter before so did not know you can get replacement cards either!

well if your a law abiding citizen you ****ed....... an unregister'd installer would cost more to take to court.

Also cannot believe a gsr is asking this

After typing in meter bypass on eBay there is pages of different bypass devices, I have heard different guys on here before having spare meters on the van, so I was just wondering what other guys do in this situation!

I guess no one has a meter bypass jig obviously!

I don't have a bypass jig, but don't deal with many prepay meters. Yes, it is a right pain in the neck, I can see why you asked. Even if it is a no, no.

Also cannot believe a gsr is asking this

that's exactly the point.

this is why this private forum is here to discuss possibilities and cross knowledge by giving the best advice.

whether you have the incline to do 'what is possible' thats another matter for the individual to decide.

right or wrong is not the point! it is nothing different in a colleague asking you at work tomorrow, you would not just blank them, you would share your thoughts and concerns.

you would think that we could all get an access account key with some credit on?
think these are registered to the addy and gas meter?

Go to any pay point, get a new card, stick it in the meter for 60 seconds (this registers it tithe meter) then you can top up credit.

If the meter displays call help or the above doesn't work then call the supplier and report an off supply and they'll come and sort it for you.

so how are you going to rate your boiler with no meter, just air test your pipework and go back when they have a card to commission it

Borrow your meter from home if you really want to commission. At least then you can say you've paid for the gas yourself.

Go to any pay point, get a new card, stick it in the meter for 60 seconds (this registers it tithe meter) then you can top up credit.

If the meter displays call help or the above doesn't work then call the supplier and report an off supply and they'll come and sort it for you.

Didn't know you could do this, always thought you had to get one sent in post from a supplier. I take it the existing card will no longer work?

Okay, so after looking on British gas website it says I can ask shopkeeper for replacement card! Then put in meter for 1 minute to activate, would this work for my meter, as I don't know who the previous supplier was?

its not your problem, treat it like a new build,boiler on wall and back you go when a supplier puts in a meter and back you go to connect it and test your system. then you give them a bill

I appreciate some guys don't like my question! But It's purely to test the boiler etc, I would not leave in place, or commission the boiler with it in place!

But, being self employed, I don't want to wait 6 weeks for the new gas suppliers next available slot to fit a working meter!

Its a bad job if guys can't ask questions on here without the fear of being shot down!

might not be a bad thing going back.
last one i had to return to commission because of no meter or gas, i charged £120

that's exactly the point.

this is why this private forum is here to discuss possibilities and cross knowledge by giving the best advice.

whether you have the incline to do 'what is possible' thats another matter for the individual to decide.

right or wrong is not the point! it is nothing different in a colleague asking you at work tomorrow, you would not just blank them, you would share your thoughts and concerns.
That they don't know about bypassing meter etc when they are gsr ? Doesn't take much to be one

I wouldn't want to belittle the bloke and suggest that he doesn't realise that would be theft but he has got him self in a bit of a spot by the sounds of it.

It's a bit harsh to jump on the guy for asking a question. I would just look at buying a meter to keep as a spare if I were you. I think BES sell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Metres bypass help in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock