Search the forum,

Discuss looking to change career. is this expensive course is worth the price? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

G

grzkar1733

Hi everyone,

I’m so tired my actual job so I’m looking for new challenges and opportunities.

I always have been hardworking and open to learn new skills but once I came to England I’ve stopped investing in myself. Don’t know really why but 3 years I doing something what I actually hate. Doesn’t matter.

I have found very interesting plumber/gas course for the newbie. I have general knowledge in many professions such as electrical, mechanical etc.) so I know how to use pilers, lol.

This course cost almost 8k pounds but it comes with ACS exam, portfolio etc.

Please take a look guys;
City & Guilds Level 2 Plumbing & Gas Training and Assessment - https://www.ableskills.co.uk/plumbing-courses/become-a-qualified-plumber-gas-engineer/

I just worry that I gonna spend money and thereafter I won’t be able to find a work...

What do you think? Any opinion welcome. Thank you

No mention of NVQ in there.

You will have had the training and received your bits of paper. But no NVQ which prospective employers would be looking at and no experience to set away yourself.

Just my opinion.

Maybe worth having a search on the forum for similar topics.

Hi everyone,

I’m so tired my actual job so I’m looking for new challenges and opportunities.

I always have been hardworking and open to learn new skills but once I came to England I’ve stopped investing in myself. Don’t know really why but 3 years I doing something what I actually hate. Doesn’t matter.

I have found very interesting plumber/gas course for the newbie. I have general knowledge in many professions such as electrical, mechanical etc.) so I know how to use pilers, lol.

This course cost almost 8k pounds but it comes with ACS exam, portfolio etc.

Please take a look guys;
City & Guilds Level 2 Plumbing & Gas Training and Assessment - https://www.ableskills.co.uk/plumbing-courses/become-a-qualified-plumber-gas-engineer/

I just worry that I gonna spend money and thereafter I won’t be able to find a work...

What do you think? Any opinion welcome. Thank you
Anybody can be a Plumber in Uk..its not right but thats the way it is. Nobody can do Gas
and all sorts of unvented set ups unless fully qualified. Anybody can go get a drain unblocker and have a go, there is plenty of dosh in drains my son has a unit in the back of a transit and at 21 owns a new Audi A3 but works hard.
It seems to me that you ought to have a go...we will help you no problem..start off plumbing
get experienced go to a night school type thing or one day a week...then go get some gas
experience when you are conversant. If you just want to service gas appliances then go to BG
but they will really bash you, but will train you and back you up...ask any questions we will help you...centralheatking

You’ll need to complete an on site portfolio of the works you have done before they’ll let you sit for your ACS, at that price I would expect the training centre to provide work placement but I couldn’t see that in their add. (Admittedly my eyes aren’t what they once were and I did skim read it 😁)

Most firms will want at least 2 years experience before they give you a start.

Just like electrician courses these companies make alot of money selling 6 week courses. They will tell you how its a license to print money and the skys the limit. What they wont tell you is no one will hire you without on the job experience and if they do you will be on minimum wage as an apprentice for at least a couple of years.

A trade is not learnt in the class room, its learnt on the tools, through years of experience.

If you really want to be a plumber, find a placement or an apprenticeship first then find a course for the "paperwork"

A friend had a mature guy contact him looking for work experience. He was on one of the courses you mentioned. He was halfway through and on track to be a Gas Engineer,

He marked up a wall for a pipe run and asked the guy to drill, plug and fit pipe clips. The guy had no idea how to do this!

DONT BE THIS GUY

As GS engineers you need to be able to do the following on a regular basis:
-Empty a room, lift a carpet, cut and lift floorboards. And put it all back down again like nothing ever happened
-Cire out a flue hole in a wall.
-Solder in awkward painful flammable locations
-trace wire and pipe runs. where does it disappear and where does it come out. You need to have a working knowledge of the fabric of buildings and what other trades have probably done to them over the years.
-answer the phone with wet hands while holding tools. in the dark. in a loft. while on your knees across joists
-be able to do your job. plus receptionist. marketing, web design, customer complaints, sales rep
-probably a million other things which others will be happy to provide

The actual job is very far from the rules and regs.

Get some experience and then try for your gas.

J

A friend had a mature guy contact him looking for work experience. He was on one of the courses you mentioned. He was halfway through and on track to be a Gas Engineer,

He marked up a wall for a pipe run and asked the guy to drill, plug and fit pipe clips. The guy had no idea how to do this!

DONT BE THIS GUY

As GS engineers you need to be able to do the following on a regular basis:
-Empty a room, lift a carpet, cut and lift floorboards. And put it all back down again like nothing ever happened
-Cire out a flue hole in a wall.
-Solder in awkward painful flammable locations
-trace wire and pipe runs. where does it disappear and where does it come out. You need to have a working knowledge of the fabric of buildings and what other trades have probably done to them over the years.
-answer the phone with wet hands while holding tools. in the dark. in a loft. while on your knees across joists
-be able to do your job. plus receptionist. marketing, web design, customer complaints, sales rep
-probably a million other things which others will be happy to provide

The actual job is very far from the rules and regs.

Get some experience and then try for your gas.

J
We used to call them...Wateries...watered down apprentices. centralheatking

Reply to looking to change career. is this expensive course is worth the price? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock