Discuss Is Plumbing a good career for me in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea it how long it takes to become fully qualified ?
I want to do it properly not some 2 week courses ive been seeing online surely they are a scam ?

well in scotland its 4 years but we do the level 3 NVQ as that is the minimum here, I think it may be 3 years in england but i'm not sure

but if you compare 3-4 years working on site and at college to a training course for 3 weeks with no on site experience, then you can see the obvious differences. It took me around a year just to get used to all the different pipes, fittings, tools etc there is so much to learn.

but if you compare 3-4 years working on site and at college to a training course for 3 weeks with no on site experience, then you can see the obvious differences. It took me around a year just to get used to all the different pipes, fittings, tools etc there is so much to learn.
Im looking forward to it just need to find an aprenticeship now.

getting a job as an apprentice is KEY, dont worry too much about college, apply by all means but remember the best way into the industry, in fact the only way to get fully qualified is to get employment/apprenticeship in the industry.

apply for 500 jobs, you think im kidding, i know people who have applied for 200 and got nowhere

getting a job as an apprentice is KEY, dont worry too much about college, apply by all means but remember the best way into the industry, in fact the only way to get fully qualified is to get employment/apprenticeship in the industry.

apply for 500 jobs, you think im kidding, i know people who have applied for 200 and got nowhere
Thanks for the help.
Do you think its worth me having a go at this ?

if there are any apprenticeships going they will be taking on them now as college will be starting around end of august start of september so give it your best shot

Im still deciding on whether to pursue Plumbing or an Electrician.
Majority of my family have said Plumbing but they are no experts.
I have read around and the pay seems to be similiar so i suppose it will come down to which one is more enjoyable and which one gets more work i suppose.

Electricians have a slightly higher rate than plumbers but it depends on what you are doing as a lot of work is piece work (for a price).
Compare these official electricians rates with the plumbers ones i gave you earlier
[DLMURL="http://www.jib.org.uk/hlw080910.htm"]JIB Industrial Determination 2008 / 2009 / 2010[/DLMURL]

If you are thinking of trying to get an apprenticeship in any trade then now is the time to start applying as most positions will be filled by school leavers by the end of July, start of August.
Apply to everyone you can think of. Bigger companies, councils etc always take some on. With small firms a personal visit to their yard first thing in the morning with your CV might work better (it shows you are willing to get up out your bed in the morning). Don't get dishartened if you don't get many replies. It may come down to luck more than anything else but the more you try the shorter the odds.
Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Read some of the similar threads on here......................Then think again!

Very good idea. Because like everyone here, I don't want to be rude to anyone, but people need to be told the situation factually. We're all a bit sick of telling people that the market is saturated. Yes you can still make a comfortable living if you're a good plumber but there is more to it than that. You have to be a people person, confident in dealing with jo public, able to work with initiative, cope with pressure, be self motivated, and have some natural ability on the tools.

Of course even if you have all this, you need dedication to building a good customer base and reputation, deal with mountains of paperwork, be able to quote, invoice, and finacially plan ahead.

Once you've mastered all this, you better hope that there is room for another plumber in your area and you better be better than most of the established competition.

Lots of people do make the cut and carve out a living (its hard work) the majority of people go back to their old job.

What the hell is the deal with the avatar Mr Plumb. Not exactly my cup of tea. Bit inappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is Plumbing a good career for me in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock