Search the forum,

Discuss Is it okay to plumb whole room with polyplumb? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BobWillis

I'm having an en-suite redone, part way through, and I've noticed that the plumber has put in mainly flexible (PB) pipes, with push fit (polyplumb) fittings. I was a bit surprised, since I thought normally most of the pipes would be copper with welded joints. So my questions are:

1. Is it okay to use this stuff for long horizontal lengths (about 1.5m)?
2. Is it okay having concealed (and inaccessible) copper -> plastic joints with push-fit (polyplumb)?
3. Is it okay for central heating?

If it's not okay, I want to get it rectified before it's all plastered and tiled over.

Thanks

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is okay if you were in a new build you would be lucky to have any copper at all

Its called modern plumbing. Some love it some hate it. Like many other things in the world, this trade is becoming de skilled. Btw i hate it. Most times it looks like a dog peeing in the snow unless it is properly fixed which it never is, but it can be useful. It does the job.

If you are having the floor tiled then i would prefer copper and soldered joints. But then again it depends what you are paying. You a8nt gonna get rolls royce install for skoda money.

My entire bathroom was 100% Polyplumb for the last 15 years. I just had it re-done, and had the lot ripped out and replaced with copper. I can't really say why, except that we were having an expensive wooden floor laid and I am an old fogey.

In fairness to Polyplumb, I guess I was being a bit unfair. 15 years is a long time to go without a problem. We did have a problem back in the early days, but that was installer error - forgetting an insert on a cold main.

Having started in industry, I'm one of those copper fans. There are a lot of what we call disparagingly "plastic plumbers" around these days, many of them are builders who think they can do plumbing. Personally I hate it as it looks untidy and suffers from rodent damage. Long term longevity is unknown but I doubt it will last as long as copper without giving problems.

Long term longevity is unknown but I doubt it will last as long as copper without giving problems.
It won't last as long as copper but i still come across the odd bit of acorn that has been in for over 30 years now.

Its good for saving money, easier to install, less fittings, can be fed where copper wont....aslong as its installed correctly I think its ok but there lies the elephant in the room....correctly installed.

It won't last as long as copper but i still come across the odd bit of acorn that has been in for over 30 years now.

Depends on the water quality. I've seen copper fail in a couple of years. I prefer copper but regularly use plastic because it speeds the job up and makes my pricing more competitive.

Just finished a job in copper. The customer requested it from the start and cost was not an issue to him. Like what's been said before, alot of people won't pay the extra. I have not had any problems with plastic when its hidden.

Thanks for all the replies. That's reassuring. I was worried no-one did this and it would fail after a couple of years. I don't care about it being ugly because it's behind a wall.

It's great to be able to consult knowledgeable people so quickly when there's a concern...thanks again all!

Thanks for all the replies. That's reassuring. I was worried no-one did this and it would fail after a couple of years. I don't care about it being ugly because it's behind a wall.

It's great to be able to consult knowledgeable people so quickly when there's a concern...thanks again all!

whos putting it in??

I never use plastic in bathrooms. Nightmare waiting to happen once it's all tiled.

I had to rip a chip shop half to bits to find a leaking speedfit tee a few weeks ago. If it had been copper, it wouldn't have fallen off

We had a job in st albans about 6 years ago . Mains leak under a tiled kitchen floor . Dug the floor up , found the leak about halve an inch from a soldered joint . All properly done in denso so first thought was they did not wipe off the flux . Replaced the whole floor with new tiles ,job done . Six months later , call back with a leak under new floor. It's a bisson floor so has to reach a saturation point untill it is visable . managed to cut and save the new tiles , dug down and found a new leak on the mains about 10 inch'es from the first one , on a section of untouched pipe , again all rapped in denso so thought it might be red line pipe or similar . Put floor back again job done . A year later leak in the hall way under carpet then one in the loft . Insurance company did'nt want to renew policy so the custards bit the bullet and got us to renew the whole mains , from the stopcock to the ballvalve in plastic . All good ,and after 4 years they are still happy . A year ago there neighbour's had started to have the same leaks so we just replaced the whole mains in plastic . I still dont trust plastic though, but it has its uses .

plastic is best installed in bathrooms with out fittings hidden we tend to form a manifold below the bath and run out in unbroken lengths to each item

Hep should b ok as long as tested. Need a tool to get the fitting off so no worries about fittings blowing off although recently ran copper pipe due to bathrooms being plyed, boarded and tiled.

O god....h8 plastic. Im more old school. All i use is copper now. Got a new plumber with me, all gas/hetas tickets but can't bend copper. I think same as tamz, trade is bringing un skilled engineers

the magic words are "if installed correctly". as with most things if installed well it will last well. all ill say is clips, clips and clips.

If I have to use plastic under floors I tend to join it using regular compression fittings.

On the moors where people have private water supplies fed from springs, I do all plastic as the water is very agressive and copper rots away rapidly. Water cyinders have to be stainless.

Both very valid points.

If I'm piping something up, I take the attitude that it should last forever under normal conditions.

when I started on my own was within a year of when my granddad retired and I still have customers on my books where I replaced like for like bathroom ect that he piped 30/40 years ago you may need the od imp to metric converter but I am more confident with his 30/40 year old installs than I am of plastic but that's just me!

Use whatever material is going to last better & with no risks if possible.
If the water isn't corrosive to copper, then use copper for plumbing & always copper for heating.
There is no real saving in cost for a bathroom to be done in plastic surely, - unless a lot of time was saved?
The plastic pipe will save very little, the plastic fittings will cost more, then you need inserts plus clips. As to plastic needing less fittings - usually I notice every bend done in plastic has to have a 90 degree push fit & instead of an offset (like on copper) guys need two push fit bends!
A good plumber can install copper fairly quick & the soldering will add time - but 10 soldered joints in a bathroom ain't going to take too long?

in a bathroom I 1st fix install all pipework clips then pipe it fluxing all fittings as I go so everything terminates into a full bore iso then solder everything in one go I don't think it takes anylonger as if your using talon clips you need to add spacers for speedfit if the are ran in parallel i and it looks nicer in copper but each to there own I guess

Its called modern plumbing. Some love it some hate it. Like many other things in the world, this trade is becoming de skilled. Btw i hate it. Most times it looks like a dog peeing in the snow unless it is properly fixed which it never is, but it can be useful. It does the job.

I hate the stuff to extreme. The only time I use it is if one of my colleagues (with whom we normally share big project jobs) calls me to help him with a Central Heating Installation and ofcourse, he is fitting with push fit 'rubbish'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it okay to plumb whole room with polyplumb? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock