Discuss Introduction of myself from Shropshire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

craigb78

Hi all,

My names Craig and I have just joined up to the forum with the hope of some help from you guys. I am 22 years old and I have been working in the Banking Industry but hated it. So I have left that job and gone to work for my step dad's company temporarily.

I am looking to get myself a career in the Plumbing Industry but don't know which route to go down? I have looked at plumbing courses where you do the theory side of it in the space of a few weeks, but this still does'nt give you the NVQ's for the practical side. So will this then make me anymore attractive to a potential employer as i still would'nt be signed off.

The other option then is to look for an Apprenticeship but I feel that at 22 I am abit old and any potential employer will be more interested in employing a 16 year old fresh out of school. Am i correct in thinking this or is it that some employees would rather a older apprentice?

Also is it only around the June, July, August months that Apprenticeships come out in time for some fresh faced 16 year old coming from school and college courses starting in september? Or is it that they are avaliable all year round?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Craig

Hi Craig

Welcome to the forums (and a wave from near Ludlow).

I'd start writing to various plumbing and building companies soon. However, it will be a very steep hill to climb and bear in mind that most plumbing businesses are one-man bands trying to keep themselves afloat so will be unlikely to be able to offer you anything. (Just saying this to save you some postage!)

I don't know how helpful Job Centres are but they might be able to supply you with names and addresses of suitable companies to write to.

Welcome Craig.
Your a brave man leaving a job to pursue a career in a struggling business in a struggling economy. Good Luck!

thanks for the warm welcome guys and the advice.

well its true i have left a career but i would rather not be in a job i hated getting up everyday to do tho tbh. luckily i got a job with my stepdad while i find something so not too bad as long as i can get some sort of position in plumbing :D

Im sure you'll get into all sorts of interesting positions doing plumbing, laying on your side wedged between a bath and basin pedestal while trying to get a bath tap off before your back goes into spasm is a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Introduction of myself from Shropshire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a bath tub in my apartment that is draining very slowly. It does finally drain but only after about 12-15+ minutes. After trying...
Replies
Views
Another newbie in the forums. I’m a 33 year old and after having worked in the Graphic/Web Design industry for around 8 years, I worked a few...
Replies
Views
C
Apologies - I am not a plumber - not sure if it is ok to post here but... It's freezing and my boiler is not working so, I wonder if anyone can...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hoping some of you folks can steer me in the right direction. I have been self employed for the last 15years supplying services to the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock