Discuss Intermittent CO issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikehiow

Hi, I am neither a plumber or a gas engineer, but hope to call on your collective experiences in the hope someone may have experienced this issue or have any ideas as to the cause.

Sunday night my Carbon Monoxide alarm went off, I quickly shut the boiler and gas off and opened all the windows. The firm that installed the boiler came out Tuesday morning and could not find any fault nor any sign of a carbon monoxide leak.

To rule out the alarm being faulty, I purchased a new alarm, this time a different model with a digital display and functionality to display peak levels.

The morning after "installing" the new monitor, I noticed the peak was at 35ppm but dismissed it as being a quick snap or a mis-read as the alarm did not go off.

Moving forward to today, I popped out for a few hours, the house was empty and upon my return the alarm is going off. My neighbour informs me that it was going off for a good hour.

Again, I turn the boiler, shut of the gas supply at the meter and call the gas engineer again. The CO meter is reading 96ppm, with a peak of 100 (I assume it tops out at 100, as it seems too round to be an actual reading), I reset it just in case (After opening all of the windows) and place it back inside, it's now reading 46ppm and falling as air circulates through the house.

A short time later, the engineer turns up, checks the ratio in the flue and tells me its a rather healthy 6.5. He stays for a further hour to check around various other places with the boiler running and comes up empty, with a maximum reading of 2ppm above the boiler and 3ppm below the worksurface under the boiler, oddly. Further investigation revealed nothing.

The only other source of gas or in fact any fossil fuel burning in the house is the gas hobs, which had not been used any time near either "event". Next door have since armed themselves with a couple of CO alarms, too. No one smokes inside the house - I am a smoker, but was out both times.

The boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 15 Ri, which I believe is a condensing unit (it has a water outlet) and was fitted roughly two years ago.

FWIW, all windows were shut at the time.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I do not intend on attempting a repair myself obviously, but if I could replicate the issue then I'd be one step closer to getting it fixed.

Thanks in advance,
Mike.

is it an open flued boiler ? it could be a ventilation problem, is the vent blocked ?

I believe it's what you call a balanced flue? ie. the outlet runs inside the inlet.

Worcester Greenstar 15 Ri, y7ou probably did not see this bit gq,lol i do that alot,so we know its a condensing room sealed boiler,6.5% co2 on the fga reding is well in but do you have a horizontal or vertical flue mike?

A 15Ri is roomsealed. If he was getting any rise in CO level around the boiler whilst operational, compared to a reading from the room when the appliance is off then the gas supply should be capped to the boiler until the problem has been rectified. 100ppm of CO is deadly.

DO NOT USE THE BOILER UNTIL CHECKED OUT PROPERLY.

Ive never seen a plume kit used like that before, looking at the picture it looks as if there will be some joints on that plume kit, perhaps they have become dislodged?

Ive never seen a plume kit used like that before, looking at the picture it looks as if there will be some joints on that plume kit, perhaps they have become dislodged?

me neither it looks highly suspicious and contravenes the regs as the flues enclosed in the roof space and the air intakes to close to the fascia

must be something to do with the flue, can you get access to it ?

lol didnt realise that part, its a long OP

me neither it looks highly suspicious and contravenes the regs as the flues enclosed in the roof space and the air intakes to close to the fascia

Yeah, very odd. I dont know why anyone would think that it was acceptable to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Intermittent CO issue in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock